Subject : DAYS OF OUR LIVES #55
Date : Fri, 1 Mar 2002 20:51:12 -0600


Newly found VET'S

CHESSER, Joe, SP4, Postal Clerk, Det 27, 60-61, (Helen), 21563 Awbrey Pl., Ashburn, VA 20148, 703-729-1229, Called Joe on 16 Feby. His wife, Helen, is from nearby Johnstown, PA. He is 60 years young. Remembers bowling a 300 game on the Manzarali alley. Alsp played tennis. Thought that there were Marines and Navy personnel assigned there for a while. He remembers a person who drove a White Cadillac and later got into blackmarket trouble.

KEMPF, Ken, SP4, 987, Det 27, 62-64, (Joann), 2628 Dove Ave., Marrero, LA., 70072, 504-341-6983, no-email. Called Ken on 15 February 2002. Found out he is a neighbor of Tom Cavallo

KIDLE, Jim, 2222 S Noche De Paz, Mesa, AZ 85202, 602-838-6751, .

VANDENBUSCH, Robt C., (Bob), 1LT, Watch Officer, Det 27, JA64-JN65, (Joanne), 4062 N. Prospect Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53211, 414-964-6130, .Called Bob on 15 February 2002. Commissioned from ROTC. Was married at Manzarali by an AF Catholic Chaplain from Ankara. Bob and Joanne are both 60. Bob is a retired school teacher.

ATTACHMENTS - check 'em out!

1. The Manzarali Pool foto is from the August 1965 Manzarali Mauler. I enlarged it so that those in the foto could be seen clearer. L-R: SSG John R. Cannon; SSG Raymond J. Melchliorre; SP4 Kenneth C. Reynolds; PFC Wm G. McDonald and PFC Anthony K. Moulton. LTC Raphael J. Dooley is in the back-


2. Attached is a Jpeg photo of a few folks at Det-27 you might remember. I'm not sure what the occasion was but I think it was at the NCO club, Det 27 (or maybe something like an all-ranks holiday party at the gym). The date the photo was developed was Jan 68. Seated from left to right: Val Antonello, Bob & Bobby Ware and John & Thelma Fennell. I think John Fennell was MOS 05D (DF/SIT).

3. I find the clock attachment truly amazing. Save it to a folder for future use!


E-mail changes

Bender, Bill -

Watson, Jesse A. -



1. FM: (Bob Ashton),

Bob Ashton writes:

2. FM: Gary Jorgensen,

Subject: Lost Maulers. - - gH, I've tried numerous times to contact Cliff Telfer in Newell, IA (assuming he is a relative of Mark Telfer) and I never get an answer. Maybe they are south for the winter or something. I talked to a Telfer in another city in Iowa and not related. Other Maulers that are missing as far as I know are; Jim Brassfield-05H Det 27 @66-67, David Clare 05H Det 27 @66-67( whom I'm told by Duane Modisette 05H, he lives in Texas somewhere) Jim Crump 05H(Cal) Charles Cooper 05H(Cal) 3. FM: Gary Jorgensen: I think it would be nice to have a Det 27 patch sized to sew on a baseball hat. For your next title of the memory book I think DAYS OF OUR LIVES is a pretty good fit.

4. FM: Gary Jorgensen: How about a list of confirmed attendees for Hershey in Pa.

Elder RC & Patricia M. Green - - - Gene & Phyllis Cram - - - Bill & Dawn Bender - - - Ralph, Linda & Lee Richter - - - Bill Binney - - - Roy DesRuisseaux - - - Gary & Virgie Jorgensen - - - Phil & Donnie Kelly - - - Tony & Val Antonello - - - Larry Camp - - - Jim & Linda Moore - - - Bill & Sheila Hartranft - - - Chuck & Helen Bergmann - - - Ed Jones - - - Dave & Barbara Cribbs - - - Gary Stolp - - - Tom Beall - - - Jim & Becky Harber - - - Walt & Bev Dubicki - - - Bill & Susan Walters; Jack & Chris Wilson - - - Randy & Kathy Strickland

Those are the names that I have thus far. IF, your name isn't listed, and you're coming, please get that info to me asap and I'll keep publishing the list

5. Top. What can I do to help you at the reunion. I'm bringing along Linda and Lee. Take care and talk with you later. Ralph Richter, Columbus, OH.,,




COX, William Eugene, MOS: ?, Det 27 circa 61-62, DOD: 1981 (Hung himself in Lake Co., California jail)

DEASEY, James E., 05H, Det 27, 62-63, DOB: 14 Oct 1939 DOD: 6 May 1999

REHKOPF, Edward B., Maj, Catholic Chaplain, Det 27, 64-65 - born 21 March 1912 died 16 April 1994 in Houston, Harris Co., TX.


Your Opinion Counts


Did y'all know that:

1. The last CO at Det 4-4, CPT James Abla, isn't interested in any reunion!

2. Brian Hennessey was a SP5 05H at Manzarali from 19 May 1962 until Oct 1963. Brian has been a faithful follower of my missives from the beginning. Brian and his wife, June, live in Lakeport, CA. and he's been a court reporter in Lake County, CA since 1967. On the 20th I received the following [edited] email from Brian regarding the very interesting accounts of one GI from Det 27 who apparently slipped thru the cracks and became 10 percenter, or so lotsa ex-ASA'ers think. I'm referring to WILLIAM EUGENE COX who my good friend Roy DesRuisseaux made us all aware of on his website and emails to me. According to Roy, both got 7.5 years in a Turkish prison and would have been released around 1971. Now, thanks to Brian Hennessey, we now know the rest of the despicable story of what happened to COX after he was booted out of the army. gH: Thought the Manzarali vets would be interested in this timely followup to the Cox/Brisenden episode mentioned in DOOL #54. This appeared in our local paper (Lake County, CA) on January 24, 2002. Feel free to edit it as you see fit. I’ve worked as a court reporter for the past 35 years and reported the preliminary hearing in this case. Always felt it an eerie coincidence that Cox and I were at Manzarali at the same time in ’62 (didn’t know him, but vividly remember the incident) and in the same courtroom in a very small town halfway around the world in ’81. The D.A. who prosecuted the case got Cox’s records from the army, and it’s the same Cox that Col Cornelius released from the Det 27 holding cell when he became the base commander in 1962.


A Swedish woman serving a possible double-life sentence for the murder of a Lake County sheriff’s deputy was denied parole Tuesday by the California Board of Prison Terms. Annika Maria Deasy, 47, was returned to the California Institution for Women in Corona, according to Lake County Chief Deputy District Attorney Jon Hopkins, who attended the parole hearing to speak against Deasy’s possible release. Deasy, a one-time San Francisco flower child, will next be eligible for parole in 2005. Facing execution, she pleaded guilty in 1983 to two first-degree murder charges in connection with the shooting deaths of a retired Stockton restaurateur, Joe Torre, and Lake County sheriff’s deputy Sgt. Richard Hellbush – the last local law enforcement official to be killed in the line of duty. Deasy and her boyfriend William Eugene Cox met Hellbush shortly after midnight on May 2, 1981, when the car they were in – purchased days earlier with a bad check – broke down on the side of Highway 29 near Manning Flat. Parking in front of them, Hellbush asked the couple for identification. Deasy did not have a driver’s license, but she nonetheless followed her boyfriend’s instructions to look for one in the purse she’d left on the passenger seat. "As Sgt. Hellbush’s attention was focused on her, COX shot him once in the back of the head and three times in the back," said Hopkins. "Then she (Deasy) told COX to drag the body into the ditch so it wouldn’t be visible (from the road), and after he did that and was starting to come back to the car, she told him to get his wallet, too." Deasy and Cox also took Hellbush’s service revolver. They then fled toward Middletown in his patrol car. COX lost control of the vehicle on Highway 175 after being chased at high speeds by a sheriff’s deputy who had come to investigate Hellbush’s radio silence. A shootout between COX and three law enforcement officials – the sheriff’s deputy, a reserve, and a highway patrolman – followed, during which time Deasy helped Cox reload his weapons, according to Hopkins. When Cox came out of Hellbush’s patrol car shooting, "the reserve deputy dropped him with one shot to the shoulder," Hopkins said. Deasy then disobeyed orders and went to her boyfriend, who’d fallen in a field of grass, and began feeling around for his gun. "She said they’d made a suicide pact and that they weren’t going to be taken alive," said Hopkins. "We were going for broke, we weren’t going back to jail," she said in an interview with detectives. Because Cox had dropped his weapon near the patrol car, the couple was taken into custody without further incident. COX hanged himself in the Lake County jail while awaiting trial. Deasy, who had been convicted of involuntary manslaughter in San Francisco in 1974, said she was a heroin addict at the time of the murders and that she had been supporting her habit by prostituting herself and passing bad checks.(The story continues about Deasy, no more about COX.)


............ I will tell you later of my trip to the Turkish prison to pay Pvts COX and BRISEDEN who were awaiting trial for stabbing a Turkish prostitute. All bad guys should visit a Turkish prison. The warden told me that if your family doesn't feel like feeding you, you simply fade away. So I am very much enjoying the Days of Our Lives and glad I got in touch......... THE UGLE AMERICANS by Roy DesRuisseaux relates to Gene Hamrick's remembranceL "Not every incident I remember is a pleasant one. In the summer of 1962 we got a new post commander. As an attempt to start off with a clean slate he released a prisoner we had been holding for a month or so. The prisoner's name was "COX," and he fancied himself as a professional criminal, a regular John Dillinger or Baby-Face Nelson. He was fond of wearing a white jacket with the collar turned up and black gloves. "COX" was picked up one evening trying to break into the post office wearing his jacket and gloves. He was pretty easy to spot. I believe he was court-martialed and ended up in our jail. He used to tell some of the MPs that he wished they had sent him to the Air Force prison in western Turkey so he could learn from the mistakes of other prisoners. Such was the mentality of this punk. So the new post commander released this guy and he hooked up with a newly arrived GI named Brizentine or Brisideen or Briseden. It is my understanding that "BRISEDEN" was married and his wife in the States was having a difficult pregnancy, so BRISEDEN had a request in for hardship leave. One evening while I was at the main gate a taxi pulled up and the driver got out holding his head and carrying a loaf of "Wonderbread" or some other American-made bread. He was speaking to me in Turkish and I really needed to get an interpreter down to the gate. Our new interpreter, Ali, came down and talked with the driver, who explained that he was bringing two GIs back to the post when one of them said he was feeling ill. The driver pulled over and helped the sick GI lie down on the ground and was giving him some smelling salts when the other GI hit him over the head with a billy club. He said he dropped to his knees but was able to see the two guys running off. When Ali asked him if he could describe either of them, the driver said one of them was wearing a white jacket and black gloves. "Cox," I told Ali, and we got the information to O'Leary. Shortly thereafter word came down to the main gate that there had been an incident in Ankara where a Turkish lady of the night had been cut up by some GIs. I was told to start sending all buses and cars to the PMO as the brass wanted to question everyone about this incident. I don't know at what point I started thinking that the two incidents might be related, but it was pretty soon after I got the info. I know at midnight chow most of the MPs who were working the swing shift thought this was probably true. We were all pretty wide awake at this time, as this was the biggest thing that had happened at Det. 27 during our time there, so we all headed over to the newly installed bowling alley. At about 2 or 2:30 a.m. we went back to the PMO to see if anything new had happened. It was during this time that one of the officers wanted to look at the log from the swing shift. After going over the log he wondered if maybe the two incidents might be related. It seemed he had finally reached the same conclusion most of the MPs had several hours earlier. It was decided that in the morning our squad would split up into several teams along with several MPs from the day shift. We would go out and search several of the nearby villages to see if we could locate COX and BRISEDEN or find someone who may have seen them. Ed Larkin, Pat Baker and I went together and went to a couple of villages without any success. At about noon we went back to post to eat and to map out where we would go in the afternoon. We decided to check out a quarry where they made pottery or bricks, I've forgotten which. It was located near the road that came from Det. 27 into the main road to Ankara. After looking around we decided we better get back as we would need to get ready to work the swing shift. As we were about to leave the quarry entrance we saw a couple of Jeeps and an Army staff car coming from Det. 27 heading out onto the highway to Ankara. "They must have caught them," we all said. "Let's head back. "When we got back to post O'Leary told us that COX and BRISIDEN were picked up a mile or so behind the ops building. They had on backpacks and were planning on walking to Lebanon. [Apparently they GOT back on post un-noticed and were able to get the backpacks before heading off to Lebanon] They were turned over to the Turkish authorities. I believe they were sentenced to 7 1/2 years. I wonder if they survived? I heard that BRISIDEN's hardship leave was approved a few days later."......... You may want to look up Dr. Derby who was the Post Dr when I was there. He interned at Walter Reed an became one of the best Orthopods on the East Coast working out of Groton, Conn. Chaplain Devany (deceased) was one of the finest men I have ever known and the one man everyone looked up to. He was an enlisted man who made the parachute jump into Holland on D-Day and went to Brown and Yale after being dicharged for wounds and came back as a Chaplain. My best to all who served in Turkey. It wasn't a soft assignment. Nathan G. Hamrick, Deltona, FL., Maj, SigC Ret.


From: Gene Cram & Don Philbrick

Subject: A Beautiful Pause

Folks -open this and let it go thru the entire loading process--maybe ten minutes, then click on play again and you'll see the whole thing without interruptions--definitely the best e-mail I've seen. Gene Cram



From: Chuck.Vanrens@dana.comElder Green, The email address that Jim gave you was close. is the correct address. Your a regular bloodhound. It will be interesting to hear the plan. Chuck Van Rens (H)419-824-0825


Subject: Some old friends that I remember

Got the rostere---didn't know too many of the names--Remember Steve Marcartan, Ted and Jack Street--was guy named Roy Wakefield from Tenn.--friend of Ted's--another named John Eades from Charlotte, NC--Gary Stewart from Flordia--St Petersburg, I think--will try to make reunion in Sept.; if possible. Can't make plans that far in advance--hope this get to you--not to good at this machine. Calvin Pope and Elaine


Subject: CWO Anthony Marino

Elder, Was looking at the obits last night and saw the listing for CWO Marino. Anthony served from 1947 thru 1967 and was stationed at Vint Hill Farms, Ft. Devens. Hamburg, Frankfurt, Okinawa and Fort Meade. Just passing this along since he may have been known to some of the group. Keep up the good work- looking forward to Sept. - Randy Strickland, Arnold, MD, SP5, 05K, Det 4-4 69-71


From: Howie Ramey
Subject: Re: SLIDES to CD

gH, Yes, I've been down for a while. Busy Hollidays, ill grandchild and a dud of a computer. All the excuses I can handle. Thanks for reminding me about the Turkey slides. [[FM gH: Howie, Did U get your slides copied to a CD yet? U mentioned getting them copied to a CD-R. If done that way U will not be able pull any one photo fm it. Suggest that U have it copied to a CD-W]]

I've contacted a couple of local labs and I'm going to have them dup them. Apparently the CD will have the software included. Believe it is some style of Canon viewing software. Do you see any problem related to this? I believe I'll have it done during the later part of March. To KISS I'll send it to you by land rather than screw it up by net. A few of the pics are of a trip by charter bus to the Med. Looking forward to exposing a great group guys who where known to have a drink or 2 on leave. For now, 73's sk w7oj Howie Ramey



Dear Elder:

Please note the new E-mail address (again). My cable company changed providers and awarded us a new address!

I hope that our [reunion] attendance is increasing by leaps and bounds. As I see new E-mail addresses for former Det 4-4 folks, I write them a note and invite them to join our fun and frolic! I haven't found a gun rack yet but I'm still trying. Perhaps if I get out to Indiantown Gap in the next month I'll try and locate a few. Dawn's rehab is coming along just fine and she's back to work. She goes for treatments twice a week and should be able to shrug her shoulders without pain in a few weeks. I'm off to France this evening with a side trip to my office in Manchester UK later in the week. I have possibly another trip to Turkey in the works around June. I'll keep you posted as this one may take me to Ankara as well as Istanbul.

I do plan to finalize the breakfast plans for us in March. I have a bowling tournament to go to in Hershey next month and I'll check out some possible sites for the second annual breakfast!

Best Regards, Bill Bender



The National ASA Association invites all ASA veterans to visit their website at:

You'll find a comprehensive ASA Reunion listing linked to the home page. You can also sign up to receive the quarterly NASAA Reunion Newsletter (and much more) at the site. NASAA membership is not required, but is encouraged by the organization. I think that access to the reunion information will always be available regardless of membership status. For more information contact the NASAA Webmaster (Bonnie Cooper) at:

DOCUMENTS fm Burt Slessinger:

#1 I still have copies of "A Lecture on the Origin and Development of the Army Security Agency 1917 - 1947."

#2 I now have copies of a 23-page document, "Arlington Hall Station and Military


To get a copy of #1, please send $4.00; to get a copy of #2, please send $2.80; to get both, please send $6.50 to cover the cost of reproduction and mailing (Burt Slesinger, 722 Wing Foot Lane, Melbourne, FL 32940).

#3 A Washington Post Magazine article about the Code War. I have it on disk and will e-mail the 8-pager to you on request. Pretty interesting reading.

#4 Another Washington Post Magazine article "Japan's Unwitting D-Day Spy - Berlin Envoy's Intercepted Cables Provided Crucial Intelligence" by Charles Fenyvesi - Special to The Washington Post. It was provided by John Bryden and I will e-mail the 3-pager to interested parties.

NEW: I recently received, read and enjoyed an article, "The Cold War in Asia" by Michael Haydock (from VFW Magazine). It was provided to me by Maddog Doran and Noel Garland. Noel has graciously offered to e-mail the 8-page document on request, which makes life a little easier for Maddog and Slesinger. Please contact Noel directly at:


Subject: Re-print of DAYS OF OUR LIVES #25, dtd 31 Oct 2001

THE 2002 REUNION WILL BE AT HERSHEY, PA., 13-15 Sept 2002. Mark that date on your calendars and make arrangements to be there. Life has a way of accelerating as we get older. The days get shorter, and the list of promises to ourselves gets longer. All of us cram so much into our lives, and tend to sked our headaches. We all live on a sparse diet of promises that we make to ourselves when all the conditions are perfect and a lot of Vet's put off something that brings them joy just because they haven't thought about it, don't have it on their sked, didn't know it was coming or are too rigid to depart from their routine.


On any given morning, we awaken, and all we have to show for our lives is a litany of "I'm going to," "I plan on" and "Someday, when things are settled down a bit." Now...with that said, go on and have a nice day. Do something you WANT to...not something on your SHOULD DO list. If U were going to die soon and had only one phone call U cud make, who wud U call and what wud U say? And why are U waiting? U'd better slow down. Time is so short for all of us on this earth so make plans to attend the Hershey, PA reunion 13-15 September 2002. There is so much to see and do in the Hershey area and many might plan on staying a few extra days to sightseeing or just relax. The World famous candy factory is nearby, the Amish in Lancaster is just 30 minutes away, the outlet stores, Carlisle Barracks (The 1st ASA Training School was there (Just ask Gene Cram and those who attended the War College), Indiantown Gap Military Post which is still active and has a PX that some might want to visit just for old-times sake. If U want to purchase anything U will need an ID card, & I'm sure there are several who w/b to the reunion who have such ID cards. (There is no tax in the PX). Those flying to the reunion shud make flight reservations ASAP to Harrisburg, PA & as the plane prepares to land, U will see the well-known Three Mile Island Power Plant. Several of the Motels have limo and or bus service from the airport and, of course, car rentals are avail. For adtnl info regarding the Hershey, PA and the surrounding area --type that in the FIND box on and start making a list of "things to do" while in Hershey. We will have a Saturday breakfast at a nearby restaurant and the Saturday meal will be nearby. A hospitality room w/b set up for our use Friday-Sunday.


If anyone has suggestions - please let me know asap so that we can include them in the reunion plans- - -gH xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fm: Linda B. Moore
Sent: Wed, 31OC01 10:56 AM
Subj: RE: The 2002 REUNION DATE IS 13-15 Sept at Hershey, PA

Elder: Just a couple of quick comments and one question on next year's reunion. Be sure to tell the folks from out of state that there is NO sales tax on clothing in PA and with the outlet stores nearby, that's a big draw for the spouses

Folks from the West Coast might want to fly into either Pittsburgh, Philly or DC/Baltimore and drive to Hershey (to get a direct flight). All cities are a few hours away from Hershey and allow for additional sight-seeing opportunities. Jim and I had a great time at Devens. Thanks so much for all your hard work. Since returning, we've been adjusting to life as it now is inside the Beltway--constant fighters overhead, news that is almost constantly national in scope. Otherwise, we too are beginning to return to normal as I understand the rest of the country is. Our best to you and Patty.

A few thoughts from Don Tarr regarding the 2002 reunion. "I travel thru Hershey frequently to meet my son and daughter-in-law on their trips back to her folks. (They live near Pgh – her folks in Carlisle, 25 mins. from Hershey) Regarding the reunion….Pgh airport is approx 20-25 min outside Pgh, which wud place it about 4 hours from Hershey. Be appraised that there are closer airports. Harrisburg has an airport that handles major jets and it’s less than an hour from Hershey. Also, ABE Airport (Allentown, Bethlehem Easton) is also closer than Pgh. It’s about 2 hours from Hershey. I live about 2 hours from Hershey in Edison, NJ., so have not flown into the Harrisburg area, but both are good airports and connecting reservations into either shud not be a problem. Just thought this info might help some who are not familiar with the area. Those who have not been to Pittsburgh wouldd like to see the view as they exit the Fort PITT tunnel and gaze upon downtown Pgh as they cross the bridge that passes over the THREE RIVERS that Pgh is famous for, except for the STEELERS, PIRATES & PENGUINS. - - The gH lives 45 min from downtown Pgh and also thought that some of our old friends wud like to stop by Indiana, PA for a visit before traveling the 4 hours to Hershey via 422 and 22 to Hershey---


SOCIAL SECURITY: (This is worth the read. It's short and to the point.)

Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions during election years. Our Senators and Congressmen do not pay into Social Security and, of course, they do not collect from it.

Social Security benefits were not suitable for persons of their rare elevation in society.

They felt they should have a special plan for themselves. Many years ago they voted in their own benefit plan. In more recent years, no congress person has felt the need to change it. After all, it

is a great plan.

For all practical purposes their plan works like this:

When they retire, they continue to draw the *same* pay until they die, except it may increase from time to time for cost of living adjustments.

For example, former Senator ..... and Congressman ..... and their wives may expect to draw $7,800,000.00 (that's Seven MILLION, Eight-Hundred Thousand!!), with their wives drawing $275,000.00 during the last years of their lives. This is calculated on an average life span for each. Their cost for this excellent plan is $00.00. Nada. Zilch. NOTHING!!

This little perk they voted for themselves is *free* to them! You and I pick up the tab for this plan. The funds for this fine retirement plan come directly from the General Funds--our tax dollars at work!

From our own Social Security Plan, which you and I pay (or have paid) into--every payday until we retire (which amount is matched by our employer)--we can expect to get an average $1,000 per month after retirement. Or, in other words, we would have to collect our average of $1,000. monthly benefits for 68 years and one month to equal ...... benefits!

Social Security could be very good if only one small change were made. And that change would be to jerk the Golden Fleece Retirement Plan from under the Senators and Congressmen. Put them into the Social Security plan with the rest of us and then watch how fast they would fix it.

If enough people receive this, maybe a seed of awareness will be planted and maybe good changes will evolve.

Now.... How many people can YOU send this to?