From: "ercgreen" <>
Subject: DAYS OF OUR LIVES #134
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:02:47 -0500


This newsletter is intended only for the use of the ASA TURKEY Veteran's. If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately.
Your memoirs are most welcome to the DAYS OF OUR LIVES and is an effort on my part to preserve the stories and memories of ASA veterans who served in Turkey. Certainly my goal is to collect and to preserve the stories -- that we honor the ASA Turkey veterans and that we educate future generations about what it was like for us old-timers. I know that most ASA Turkey veterans enjoy reading the BIO's of others who served in Turkey. On the importance of the ASA Turkey BIO's - that not too many years from now people will be able to look back and understand what the ASA was all about and why ASA personnel served in Turkey and have a better understanding of the experience of veterans who went through the Cold War.
With that said - those who have not penned a BIO - stop sitting back and waiting for me or someone to interview them for their BIO write-up. Sit down and write or dictate to the spouse their remarkable memoirs and personal stories and then send them to me for inclusion in the DOOL's. This is my effort to ensure the words of thousands of veterans and how it changed them and how it changed the country and there should not be a shortage of stories to tell. I will respond to all e-mails and will assist whenever needed, but reserve the right to edit for content and clarity and welcome any errors that may appear herein. Whether you choose to share your BIO is a personal choice. However, information not shared is the same as information lost. Keep in mind that the Internet is a universe unto itself and is a dang near veritable hell-hole filled with scams, scam artists, frauds, thieves, and greedy people, etc. In the old days, back when mail crossed the country in days, identity theft still took place. Today, e-mail crosses the country at the speed of light. The crooks do too. Your privacy is extremely important. Therefore, if you wish not to receive future DAYS OF OUR LIVES, please send that request to - When you send an email to me - PLEASE include the word ASA in the subject line to insure that I open it and not mistake it for SPAM. Thank you- - -gH

GREEN, Elder RC (gH), DOB: 1936, RA13513638, E7, 982/98C, Det 27, 1-15MY61, Det 120, MY-JL65, Det 27, JN66-OC67 & Det 4-4, OC67-NO68, (Patty), 3094 Warren Rd., Indiana, PA 15701, 724-349-7395, The attached photo was taken at the Owl's Nest Camp near Penfield in Clearfield County, PA. Most in the photo were some of my COAL MINER friends who enjoy the outdoors and the annual get together.

NOTICE: The next DOOL (#135) will be issued on 23 December 2003. It is apparent that a lot of the OLD-TIMERS have lost interest and caused me to go from a weekly newsletter to one or two per month. I certainly would like to read your comments regarding the future of the DAYS OF OUR LIVES!!


LOWE, Cecil E., Det 4, 59-60, DOB: 27 December 1937 DOD: 18 March 2003, SSN 229-44-1355 issued Virginia. I recently made contact with Dean Wagenbach who served in the ASA at Det 27 for 25 months in 1958-60. Dean graduated high school in Franklin, VA with Cecil Lowe and lost track of Cecil until they met at the USAF BX in Ankara, Turkey in 1959. Dean now lives in Como, North Carolina and attended the funeral of Cecil. Earlier Bob Van Erem mentioned knowing Lowe at Sinop, but had forgotten his first name. See below for brief write-up for Dean Wagenbach.

CECIL E LOWE 27 Dec 1937 18 Mar 2003 (P) 23851 (Franklin, Franklin City, VA) (none specified) 229-44-1355 Virginia

SCHINSTOCK, Joe, CPT, Opns O, Det 4, 59-60, deceased. DOB: 7 March 1911 DOD: 4 March 1990, Lived at 2824 Oakmont Dr Sierra Vista AZ 85635 319-258-4221 per Cairns

JOSEPH SCHINSTOCK 07 Mar 1911 04 Mar 1990 (not specified) (none specified) 515-36-5176 Kansas

SUMMERLIN, Glen SP2 (E6), Teletype repairman, Det 27, 58-60, DOB: 24 January 1933 DOD: May 1973, SSN: 258-46-0682 issued Georgia. Maurice Cammack: There is one member of the TUSLOG Det 27 of my era (December 1957 to February 1959) that I have received belated death information on. A mutual friend told me that Glen Summerlin (then a SP2), who joined us in Ankara for duty at Det 27 in late 1958 as our only Teletype Repairman. Summerlin committed suicide many years ago. Glen was one of the few enlisted types that had his wife with him, and they willingly opened their home to us single GIs. I don't know all the specifics of Glens death, but will try to find out more and pass it along.

GLEN SUMMERLIN 24 Jan 1933 May 1973 (not specified) (none specified) 258-46-0682 Georgia

In this issue, in alphabetical order:

Richard E. Ball, Det 27, 62-63

Donald W. Cairns, Det 4, 59-60

Maurice Cammack, Det 27, 57-59

John A. Carlson, Det 4, 61-62

Jerry W. Coker, Det 27, 58-60

Chuck Crews, Det 27, 63-64

Roy DesRuisseaux, Det 27, 61-62

John Erkkila, Det 27, 62

Donald G. Fulton, Det 4, 67

Roger Glubka, Det 27,

Nelson Groome, Det 4, 68

Ed Jones, Det 27, 62-65

Harry Lance, Det 4, 59-60

Art Landskov, Det 27, 61-62

John Nodorek, Det 27, 67

John S. O'Connor, Det 4, 68

Julius C. O'Quin, Det 27, 61-62

John S. Penman, Det 4, 68-69

David W. Polhemus, Det 27, 64-66

Jim Princehorn, Det 4, 69-70

Richard D. Riedy, Det 4, 57-59

George Reymond, USMC Security Guard, NSA, 62-63

Gary Richard, Det 27, 66-68 & Det 4-4, 68-60

Ralph Richter, Det 27, 66-67

Walt Sinor, Det 27, 62-63

Roy Springmeyer, Det 27, 60-62

Howard Stephens, Det 27, 60-62

Dean Wagenbach, Det 27, 58-60

Daryl L. Waite, Det 66, 63-65

Larry Wheelon, Det 4, 67-68


BALL, Richard E., (Dick): DOB: 1942, RA12615407, E4, 341.10, Tk#4, Det 27, JA62-JN63, (Debbie), 10 Heritage Dr., Lancaster, NY 14086, 716-685-9129, - I enlisted in the Regular US Army in Buffalo, NY in 1961 and took basic at Fort Dix, NJ. During the indoctrination process, the recruiter asked if I'd be interested in the Army Security Agency, having no idea what it was, it sounded good, I said "yes". At basic I took the series of tests ( Morse code ) and was told that I qualified for MOS 980, 341 and 623 (flunked 058, "darn"). Soon they determined that I would be best suited for training at Fort Gordon to be a teletype repairman. After completing teletype repair school, we were held over because of the Cuban missile crisis, nowhere to go because everybody overseas was frozen there. After a few weeks of various details, we were called to the ASA HQ's for our assignments. The first couple of overseas assignments called out were Japan and Germany. I thought "great". Then the "S' hit the fan because the next ones were Korea and Turkey. Robert Barlage, 341.1 (from Chicago) and Nicholas Giordano, 321.1 were on the same orders, it was TUSLOG Det 83 on the orders. At first I was a little disappointed, but now that I look back on my army days - I thoroughly enjoyed my tour at Manzarali. My first impression of Turkey was the tobacco odor in the Ataturk International Istanbul airport at Yesilkoy when we landed and walked thru the terminal.
The same odor existed at the Esenboga airport outside of Ankara. When I got to Turkey the Cuban Missile Crisis was still taking place and we were bunked in the dayroom for a couple of weeks. I finally got put into a room with a couple of "old timers/short timers" who were getting ready to rotate back to the states. They gave me, an 18 year old a tour of the Kara-Hani and some bars in Ankara.I remember that the Company clerk (can't remember his name) often visited the Kara-hani and took perfume and lipstick for his week-end visits as favors. Another Turkish odor was the sheep manure that they'd spread around the barracks on the hottest days when we had to have the windows open and working nights. That’s when we went to the NCO Club for breakfast (Budwieser's) and sleeping pills(Budwiesers again). Don Borders, radio repairman, could guzzle a can in one gulp. He would patch into a "newks" console with a key and send him morse with their name and that they've been "newked". The newks would be copying like crazy (on a "Mill") and were not aware of what they were typing until Borders stopped sending and they had time to review what they had copied. Needless to say as to what the newks reactions were. Later those newks would pull the same prank on new newks. It was things like that - that kept those 058's amused and they were a great bunch of guys who were the mission
lifeblood of Det 27 and USM-46M. Without them there would have been no need for Det 27. I played softball and flag football at Det 27. In fact I broke both ankles playing softball. The first time I was playing 3rd Base and the runner slid and broke my ankle, walked on it for two days before realizing it was broken. It was tough walking from the NCO Club to the barracks on crutches with a few too many. Three weeks before I was due to rotate back to Vint Hill, I broke the other ankle sliding into home plate, caught my heel on the corner of the plate. I spent the next week or so at the USAF Hospital in Ankara, they were contemplating sending me to Germany for surgery. They ended up putting a cast on and I cleared post on crutches. On the flight home I broke the cast on the arm of a seat on the plane. I wasn't about to give up leave so I got some plaster-of-paris and repaired it myself. The Det 27 medics had a donkey (ashack) named Georgia who would come to the flag football games and drink either Coke or BUD, must have been the red labels. Anyways she'd have a few too many BUDS and pass out. what a sight. Our watch officer was Lt Dave Tavernetti. I remember when he walked into operations for the first time, he introduced himself, "Hi, I'm Dave". Dave was also on our flag football team, another name from the team was John Brummel who played college football at the Univ. of Maryland. Capt Gerarld G. Gibbs was our company commander, I heard when he first arrived at Manzarali, he thought it was a penal institution (fenced in area of operatios). After Turkey I was posted to Vint Hill Farms, Supply and Maintenance Co. In September 1963 I was sent TDY to Berlin to install equipment in the ops building on the Teufelsberg Hill. We had just started to have a party to celebrate the completion of our assignment at a bar just outside the gate to Andrews Barracks when told of JFK's tragic ending. What a sad ending to a fun time in Berlin.

CAIRNS, Donald W., DOB: 1936, RA11300211, E4, 058, Det 4, NO59-OC60, (Beverly), 2501 E-Golflinks Rd., Sierra Vista, AZ 85635, 520-458-9655, Thanks for keeping the ASA lamp lit. I enlisted in New Hampshire. My first enlistment in the army was for 3 years. I ask for and was trained as a Military Policeman. After finishing MP training at Fort Gordon, GA in April 1956 I was off to the Far East and was assigned to the Tokyo Quartermaster Military Depot at Shinagawa, Japan. This was an exceptional Army assignment (lots of good friends and lots of good memories). While in Tokyo I met an ASA guy named Bill Coward who was assigned to Oji Camp. He told me a little about the ASA organization and that making rank was pretty good. In July 1958 I got out of the Army and went back to New Hampshire to make my fortune; however, no jobs so in March 1959 I reenlisted for ASA and got it. While at Fort Devens I asked to be a Morse code intercept operator (058) and went through the school. As a brand new 058 - my first assignment was to Det 4 at Sinop, Turkey. Arrived at Ankara in early November 1959 and spent a couple of days waiting transportation to Sinop. They loaded about 20 of us on a small Turk bus and away we went; took about 20 hours to drive from Ankara to Sinop. It was one long trip and because of my small stature, 5' 7" and 159 lbs, was seated over one of the rear wheel wells.
SINOP - 1959 and 1960
Sinop, in 59, was pretty austere. Most of the guys lived in wooden barracks double-bunked and some lived in Jamesway tents. Construction was underway on the "hill" but to the most part there just wasn't much going on. The only permanent building was the church that was finished prior to my arrival. The first thing they had us do was to pull guard duty for about a week; wasn't too bad. This is where I met a couple of new guys, Don Lewis and Mike O'Dell, who went on to be great friends. Got into operations and it was a great mission. The trick chief was SFC Amos L. Bouchard (sic). He was, by far, the best 058 that I worked with during my EM stint. He could hear code signals that most of us had overlooked. He, however, could not spell. His comments on the intercept signals, etc were always mis-spelled.
I remember when MSG Frank Horvath departed in 1960 and MSG Crawford Boyd replaced him. Boyd's prior assignment was with the 18th Airborne Corps. He immediately tried to initiate the age-old military problem of discipline, but that did not appeal to the EM's sense of reason and did not cause a
recalcitrant EM to conform or even appreciate the need for discipline and caused an enormously complex moral environment. However, Boyd clung doggedly to the premise that the Cold War environ-ment rendered - that military discipline was essential and relatively straightforward. As a result of pressure from NSA his efforts caved in and were discarded. Boyd was a tough well decorated ex-Infantry and Korean War Veteran who should not have been sent to the strategic ASA post at Sinop. By this I mean that there were many college educated EM at Det 4 who were more-or-less EXPERTS
at their jobs and any attempt to make them toe the line - was a terrible waste of time. Since I was on my second enlistment - I was viewing the military a little different than most of my peers. I was looking to make a career of it (or at least take three years at a time).
In early 1960 Don Lewis and I (with the help of Turks) built the first sail boat to be owned and operated by the GIs on the HILL. Called it the "Beverly Jeanne" after my fiancée back in Lawrence, Mass. Once got caught in a major storm and was headed out to sea when a Turk boat came to our rescue and towed us back to shore; without question, we would have been history.
On 18 July 1960 Don Lewis, Judd Bowers and I were lifeguards at Det 4's little section of beach on the Black Sea. It must be remembered that a military coup had taken place in Turkey on 27 May 1960 when the Turkish army seized control of the country. .The coup was accomplished with little violence and was accepted quickly throughout the country. The SINOP area was now under the military control of a, so called, no nonsense Turk Colonel. We had been having trouble on the beach with the Turks stealing etc. The Det 4 commander discussed this problem with the Turk commander and he vowed that their would be no further problems. In fact, he had a small guard house erected on our beach and manned it with a conscript and assured the Det 4 commander that his troops would "escort" any intruding Turks off of the Det 4 beach. On the afternoon of 18 July a lone Turk sailed up and we kind of pushed him back into his boat and off the beach. Just after trick change and all the GI's had left the beach for work. The sun was just setting when two boatloads of angry Turks came around the cove. We immediately knew we were in trouble as the Turk soldier on duty at the guard post - took off running and wanted nothing to do with the approaching Turks. The three of us had no where to run and recognized most of the Turks from previous friendly encounters This time that were not friendly and the odds were against us and the Turks simply beat the hell out of us. I was hit over the head with a club, and was knocked out Whe I came to the sky was pitch black as the surrounding water. Some-how during the brawl I was able to rip part of a Turks ear off. Apparently they got what they came for and left. Don Lewis and Judd Bowers were also badly beaten. Bowers had a broken right hand that Dr. Lewis splinted when we finally got back to the post and dispensary for treatment. The Turk Colonel was notified of the beach trouble and the next day they took us to downtown Sinop where the guilty 10-15 Turk offenders were sitting. We identified them as the invading brawlers. We explained as best we could what had happened. Needless to say the Turk Colonel was furious. They ALL looked TERRIBLE. Someone other than us had worked them over and they were arraigned en masse the following morning. After all these years - I'm still curious as to what punishment the Colonel or his Sgt Major meted out to the conscript who ran away from his beach guard house. Vince Caruso was the medic who mended us and also came with us to the downtown meeting and I've discussed this incident with him. After this, we three were flown to Ankara that day for specialized treatment and were laid up in the Air Force hospital for a few days. Later, after the facts came out, the 10-15 Turks went to jail. On 4 August 1960 the 058's of 'B' Trick went to Samsun via icki pachuks for a 3 day pass. Since I was still recuperating from my head injuries - I was allowed to sit up front with my head completed bandaged. About 20 miles from Samsun a young Turk kid threw a rock thru my open window and it BUSTED my nose. Blood was all over the place. I spent my 3-day pass in the Samsun dispensary and they drug me back to Sinop.
Another memory was the amount of dogs on the hill. "Gimp" and some of the other dogs had litter after litter and most GI's had one or more of the puppies. It really got out of hand. Anyway, the Provost Sergeant had to start gassing some of the pups and that caused a lot of problems. The only place to go was the mess hall which was open about 22 hours a day and had pretty good food considering where we were and how hard it was to get supplies to us. Here is where we wrote our letters and talked of things to come.
All in all the year did pass, most of us had a great experience and met some life long friends. Don Lewis, Mike O'Dell and I transferred to Bad Aibling, Germany for our next assignment. On the way to Bad Aibling I flew to Boston, married Beverly, and brought my new wife to Germany. After the great tour at Bad Aibling I went to OCS at Benning and went on to spend 17 years in ASA and retired in 1976 as a Major. I also went on to spend another 21 years in civil service at Fort Huachuca mostly working for INSCOM. Looking back, I enjoyed Sinop. It was just an interesting time and a great mission. Lt Joe Schinstick was the Operations Officer at Det 4 - 59-60. At Sinop I was an E4 and as such had very little dealings with him there. After that we crossed paths in Arlington Hall station and here at Fort Huachuca and around Sierra Vista. He passed away about 8 years ago at around age 60. Did you know Lt Joe Schinstock (he is here in the area). I remember Chaplain Smolinski who was the 1st chaplain assigned to Det 4. I also remember a Frank Soucup (sic) who was a very good 058. Hope to hear from any who knew me at SINOP or at my other ASA assignments - Please list.

CAMMACK, Maurice, E3-E5-10NO58 722 Det 27, DE57-FE59, (Katie), 3024 E. Gallman Rd., PO Box 118, Gallman, MS 39077, 601-892-4597, - Elder, I have been remiss in not contributing more to the DOOL but I never miss reading a posting, and hope you can continue to publish them. You and your efforts on behalf of all of us is very much appreciated! I have talked with Tom Stephens and we both are planning to attend the Alabama reunion next year. My travels have been curtailed, but this meeting is just too close to not make, and we plan to be there. There is one member of the TUSLOG Det 27 of my era (Dec 57 to Feb 59) that I have received belated death information on. A mutual friend that I just found told me that Glen Summerlin (then a SP2), who joined us in late 1958 as our only Teletype Repairman committed suicide many years ago. Glen was one of the few enlisted types that had his wife with him, and they willingly opened their home to us single GIs. I don't know all the specifics of Glens death, but will try to find out more and pass it along. Best wishes, and happy
holidays, Maurice Cammack

CARLSON, John A., E3-E4, 993.18, Det 4, JN61-MY62, (Madeline), 78 Clifton Ave, Brockton, MA 02301, 508-588-6572, - Elder, I've enjoyed reading DOOL and would like to keep getting your regular information. So, I must tell you my new web address. Old e-mail is and my new e-mail is Thank you for all your work in keeping the lines of contact open for all of us who served our country long ago and far away. John A. Carlson Mos 993.18

COKER, Jerry W., DOB: 1938, 711, E3-E4, Det 27, OC58-AP60, 6031 NW 54th Ter., Gainesville, FL 32653, 352-378-4871, - It was thru information from Maurice Cammack that I was able to link up with Jerry Coker on 10 August 2002. Jerry Coker enlisted for 3 years in July 1957 for duty in the ASA. Took basic training at Fort Chafee, Arkansas. After basic - most ASA recruits were sent to Fort Devens for AIT, etc. This was not the case with Jerry Coker. Instead and because of his already existing typing skills was sent to ASA Headquarters at Arlington Hall Station, Virginia where he worked for Col Milburn and Sgt Major Shideler and was responsible for typing the Post Bulletins. After a year he went to the Sgt Major and requested an overseas assignment. He was sent to Fort Devens for classification, etc., where he was awarded MOS 711 and received orders for duty at Det 27 in Ankara, Turkey. Upon his arrival was billited in a plush USAF apartment building and worked in a small office complex, near the American Embassy, for CPT Loving as a clerk typist flunkie. Jerry readily admits that this was a plush job and that he only once visited the future home of Det 27 at Manzarali. At this time (1958) there were about 60 ASA GI's assigned to Det 27 who all were drawing housing and separate ration allowances. Most knew that this was a SOFT assignment, but still many complained. Said that he was paid $350 dollars a month and because of the very good exchange rate converted it all to lira which increased his monthly intake to about $700 dollars and that a lot of black marketing took place. Remembers that the salary of a Turk Brigadere General at that time was equivalent to about $180 dollars. Most was curious if I had the names of the others who were at Det 27 circa 1957-60. Jerry enjoyed his TOUR of DUTY in Ankara as a SP4 clerk typist, and worked for CPT William Loving (deceased 1975). He mentioned LTC Walter R. Ewing and Maj Wilbur Ackert as the two senior ASA officers there at that time. He said that one of his roommates was Dean Wagenbacha Henry Miller from SC; ? Haslip and Joseph Downey, and promised to get to me with other names, etc. Promised to send BIO.

CREWS, Charles Larry (Chuck), DOB: 1940, RA14800680, E3, 711, Distr Ctr, Det 27, MR63-AU64, (Frances), PO Box 37, Titus, AL 36080, 334-514-1126, was now - I think we talked over the phone sometime back. I was in Turkey 1963-1964. Worked in distribution center with Sgt Hochkiss and Specialist Rick Hasbrouk in Hqs Co. Col Barton was the CDR. Major Earl Griffin was the S3. Specialist Dave Long was a draftsman in that office. Played softball and basketball for Hqs Co. A lot of the guys in medical was in hqs barracks.
James Stremich, Larry Rudd. I played a lot of pinochle.

DesRUISSEAUX, Roy, DOB: 1941, RA13668334, E3, MP, Det 27, JN61-AU62, (Josie),176 Springton Rd Upper Darby, PA 19802, 610-622-3343, - Elder: Hope all is well with you. Josie and I finally bought a house in Springfield, PA., about 3 miles from where we are now. We don't settle until Mid January so things are a bit hectic. Trying to do some finishing touches to this place so we can sell it. Just thought I'd say hello.

ERKKILA, John, DOB: 1943, RA15656588, E4-E5, 059, Det 27, JL62-AU62, Det 4, SE62-JL63, (Linda), 17 Sheffield Pl., Brevard, NC 28712, 828-883-3373, - Good Day to you - Not sure why or how but I just ran across two copies of " Days of our Lives" on the internet. With GREAT interest I read both and was wondering how to see/read others issued earlier or future editions? I was originally assigned Ankara in July 1962. After spending about a month I was one of a select few that were sent on to Sinop where I served out the remainder of my Turkey tour. I am a native of Michigan and after graduating from high school went to Cleveland, OH where I enlisted for the ASA in September 1961. My uncle was a LTC and in charge of the recruiters in the Cleveland area and he insisted that I sign up for ASA duty. Took basic at Fort Div, NJ and to Fort Devens for 058 and ended up as a 059. Was initially sent to Det 27 for non-morse duty that lasted a month or so. While there I remember that a born again GI from Det 27 was caught by the Turkish police in Ankara passing out Christian Literature and was soon flown out of Turkey to Germany. Don't remember his name. I went to Sinop with about 4 others in the back of a deuce and a half. Very dusty ride. Enjoyed my Det 4 tour.

While at Sinop I and 3 others bought a 18 foot sail boat for just over $100. The Turk painted it white and we painted red polka dots all over it. After my Sinop tour I was sent to the 319th USASA Bn in Kassel, Germany for 14 months. I was discharged on 13 August 1964. I will find some old orders and will write a complete BIO for the DOOL.

FULTON, Donald G., RA19889202, E4, 05H2HS3YA, Det 4, JA67-DE67, (Linda), 114 Tala Vera Pkwy., Unit 1413, San Antonio, TX 78232, Elder, - I found another Sinopien (sp) who served with me at TUSLOG Det 4, Sinop in 1967. Please add James E. Kesterson (Jim) to the list. He served all of 1967 Jan-Dec. I located Jim after many years of searching the web etc. and prior to the existance of the web. He always said he was from Pueblo, CO. and I could not find him, but then last week I was searching for old friends and found a James E. Kesterson in Colorado that appeared to be a match, right age etc., so I sent a snail mail message to the address listed and last night I received a phone call on the cell while shopping, and it was Jim Kesterson. We had a great chat and after 37 years of not seeing or hearing from him, it was an awesome experience. :) We left Sinop on the M.Y. Kamal together. Here's the skinny, James E. Kesterson O5H20 Tuslog Det 4 , Jan to Dec 1967, (Martha), 411 E. Grant, Fowler, CO 81039. I will provide an email address for Jim and Martha upon receipt of it. Hope all is well with you and that you have a real nice Thanksgiving. Donald G. Fulton, AF PKI Systems Project Office, 4241 Piedras Drive East, Suite 154, San Antonio, Texas 78228, 210-587-3527 x 123, 210-587-3531 Fax

GLUBKA, Roger A., (Butch), DOB: 1944, E1-E3-E1, 72B, Det 27, FE64-JL65, (Michelle), 7353A Ireland Cir., El Paso, TX 79930, 915-562-9560, Elder, I added Gary Winch to my relay list and brought him up to date. You asked about how often the DOOL should be put out? How about once a month? Take care and think safety when you're in those Pennsylvania woods.

GROOME, Nelson, DOB: 1943, 1LT-CPT, Pilot, Det 4, FE68-DE68, (Bridget), 7934 Garners Ferry Rd., Columbia SC 29209, 803-695-9727, - Contacted on 27 November 2003. Was pleased that I contacted him regarding his Tour of Duty as a pilot at Sinop. Remembers LTC's John O'Connor and Hank Labrecque, Maj R.L. Davis who was the S4, WO Walter Shipley, Ken Manela, David Clancy, Kristopherson, Maj Wallace M. Evans (pilot), Maj Russell (pilot), et al. Nelson Groome received his 2nd Lieutenant bars upon graduation from Virginia Military Institute (VMI) in 1967 and spent 20 years in the US Army retiring as a Major. Nelson reports that he absolutely enjoyed the tour at Sinop. It was his only ASA assignment. Mentioned that he replaced a pilot who flew A plane into the USSR by mistake or otherwise. Nelson Groome promised to send names of others that he served with on the hill, photo's and a comprehensive BIO.

JONES, Ed, DOB: 1944, RA18664602, E5, 059, Det 27, OC62-MR65, (Florence), 30 Woodland Hills Dr., Bismarck, IL 61814, 217-759-7773, You do a lot of work on the newsletter and its always very good. I haven't compared (because I save each one) but if each newsletter builds on the last than once a month would be good, unless there is a news bulletin about a passing or a funeral. If each one is a separate newsletter - then I vote not to changes, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT WITHOUT WEARING YOURSELF OUT SGT........ THANKS!!!
KEARNEY, Greg P., E5, 05H, Det 4-4, SE68-OC71, (Lonnie), 11426 Brawley Rd., Hesperia, CA 92345, 760-949-5731, Always interested in what you pass along with the DOOLS and for some time now it just seems that a lot more input from other sources. As always, I appreciate the effort that you have put into our reunion's and the bringing together of past friendships from our ASA days. I will make the necessary change for O'QUIN and also have re-established contact with John Nodorek, and will forward the latest DOOL to him as well as O'QUIN. Take Care, and enjoy your hunting,

LANCE, Harry, E3-E5, 058, Det 4, AP59-AP60, (Frances), 50 S. Fairview St., Nazareth, PA 18064, 610-746-9141, Sinoper's 1959-1960. Just heard from Tony Vitale who was stationed with us at the "hill". His email address is

LANDSKOV, Arthur O., (Art) DOB: 1936, RA19669586, E4-E5, 058, Det 27, MR61-DE62, (Julie), 4607 36th Ave NE, Tacoma, WA 98422, 253-952-9420, - Hi- Just received your latest "Days of our Lives #133". Thanks again and please note the email change.
Here's an up-dated BIO for Art Landskov

I am a native of Montana. In 1960 I earned a degree in Chemistry from the University of Washington. At that time I was close to being drafted, so I explored my options with the recruiters and decided to cast my active duty with the Army Security Agency. Some names from the past: 1961- LTC Dimpster E. Epperson was the CO. Capt Lyman C. Fansler was the head of food services. 1962- LTC Vernon Y. Cornelius took over command of Det 27. Here are some of the guys on our trick, some I can only remember last names: Frank Keenan- NJ; Jon Hansmann-WA; Tom McWade-FL; Sonny Savoy- LA; Bob Erickson-IA; ? Staley; Bob Speegle-CA; Darrell Mezo-IL; Ed Holland; Bill Roney-PA; Larry Van Vekoven-Lodi, CA; Bernie Courtemanche-NH; Robert O'Hara; Bill Egan-PA; [Bill) Brittenham; Joe Kelly-Boston, MA; W.C. McClelland-CA; R. Quinn-WI. These are guys I had some pictures of with names. I guess it has just been too long ago to jog my memory. If and when I get together with Roy Springmeyer maybe we will be able to help each other recall some names.

NODOREK, John DOB: 1946 E3-E4 76P 76T 95B Det 27, AP67-NO67, Det 4-3, NO67-NO68, (divorced), 504 Johnson Rd., Albany, GA 31705, 229-436-8588, - Hello, Elder & Greg Kearney, Elder, Awhile back, I sent you a letter asking you to drop the PO Box and add my street address to the master list. I also informed you that I was off line. Glad to say, I am back on-line. If Greg is still passing them along, he can add my name back to his list or if not, you may assign me to another person. Would like to continue receiving them. Went off-line ""suddenly"" in Jan/Feb. due to a
mild stroke and with no income to keep the service going, had to drop it and the PO box. Am now getting disability benefits, so can afford to get back on line. Will go to the web site that has the DOOL's and catch up on those I missed. Till later, keep up the good work. Take care. John J. Nodorek Jr. ASA-All the way.

O'CONNOR, John S., (Jack), DOB: 1926, LTC, Cdr, Det 4, JA68-DE68, (Pat), 913 E Atlantic Ave., Altoona, PA 814-942-2642, - Patty and I recently visited with the O'Connor's in their home in Altoona, PA on a rainy day. We pulled into a driveway and there stood a slender crew cut gentleman who was preparing his car for a trip. I had never met John O'Connor and no sooner I exited my car that the salt and pepper gentleman - who recognized the ASA hat that I was wearing - said, "I've been waiting for you ASA boys to show up. Come here and take a look at this!" as he led me to the front of the doorless garage. There in plain view was a footlocker stenciled LTC John S. O'Connor, Det 4 that he sent from Sinop to Altoona, PA when he rotated as commander of Det 4 in December 1968. I had never met Col O'Connor before and immediately knew that the salt and pepper gentleman was John S. O'Connor. We shook hands and he insisted that I pull my car into the garage so that Patty would not get wet when she exited the car. Col O'Connor welcomed us into his house where we spent an enjoyable two hours chatting about the ASA and his 33 year US Army career that ended in July 1975. Mrs O'Connor assured me that Jack O'Connor would compose his all-embracing BIO in the near future and send it for DOOL distribution. The Col agreed. In the interim I will add the following: Jack & Pat O'Connor have six children, three of each, and 26 grandchildren. Both are natives of the Altoona area. Jack enlisted in the US Army in 1942 at the age of 15! Took basic at Fort Bragg, NC then trained at camps that few us knew existed, such as Camp Livingston, Louisiana and Camp Gruber, Oklahoma. Served in three wars: WWII in Africa, Korea and Vietnam. Will be anxiously awaiting Colonel O'Connor's photo's and BIO.

O'QUIN, Julius C., E4, 722, Det 27, FE61-OC62, 8438 Parasol Ln., Houston TX 77064, 713-937-1050, I appreciate receiving the DOOL and read it each time. Please note email address has changed. It was Now

PENMAN, John S., DOB; 1944, RA16879190, E4-E5, 98J2L27 (French), Det 4, MY68-MY69, (never married), 3135 Folsom St., Boulder, CO 80304, 303-449-7743, no e-mail. Contacted on 27 November 2003. Does not have internet service, but anticipates getting a PC soon. Enlisted in the ASA for 4 years at Detroit, Michigan on 2 June 1966. A friend who had served in the ASA recommended that he enlist for the ASA. Initially wanted to go to language school, but Vietnamese was the only language available & he opted for ELINT training as a 98J. Even though he was a smoker - remembers the tobacco smell within the airport. Said that it was a combination of goats...., rose water and bafra cigarettes. Also observed heavily guarded dump trucks near the airport that were full of marjuana plants that had been growing near the airport. Was scheduled to fly out of Sinop, but the flight plans got screwed up and 4 of them hired a taxi to take them to Ankara. The cost was $10. per person and the Turk driver was very pleased. Said that 2 of the GI's were married and had never been off post during their tour on the hill and were anxious to get home to Nebraska and Wisconsin. Said that it was a great tour. Works for the Post Office. Promised to send photo's and write a BIO.

POLHEMUS, David W., DOB: 1932 CPT-Maj, Protestant Chaplain, Det 27, JN64-NO66, (Gwenneth), 208C Creekside Cir,, Prescott, AZ 86303, 928-717-8824, - [edited] Dear Elder Green, To my amazement, as I was looking for something else under Polhemus, I found a reference to me as the Protestant Chaplain at Det 27, 1964-66. I'd love to hear more about people who were there in those years. What a great Det 27 patch. We didn't know that there was one. We'd not thought of Nassaradin Hodja in years. What a fitting patch.. Please send me one and the $3.27 will be in the mail. As for the other chaplains, I'll see what I can find. I believe that Fr. Rekopf died some years ago. The other names from our Manzarali Tour are hard to come by, but as you mention them in the DOOL, they return. Major Vannoy was another reminder. I'll see if I can find some kind of roster to tickle my memory. David W. Polhemus Ch (Col) USA,Ret

PRINCEHORN, Jim, E4, 98J/95B, Det 4, JN69-JN70, (Marilyn), PO Box 410, Rush, NY 14543, 585-0533-1022, [edited] Hi, Elder. This is Jim Princehorn, an ASA'er from Sinop (69-70) and Phu Bai (71-72). I read the DOOL's with interest, looking for guys that I worked with. I was an ELINTER and worked with Jack Grace and Mike Jobe. Eddy Lacompte, I remember as well. I think that he was a MP that was drafted into the ASA. As I recall, he wasn't very happy about it. There wasn't much action in Sinop. I remember Jerry Harder. Another MP was Dennis Wheeler from Grand Rapids, Michigan. We was stationed at the Prescidio, (sp) in California and was sent to the Pentagon during the peace demonstrations in 1965 or 6. He had some good stories about that duty. He ETS'ed from Sinop. Another MP there was Don (Dot) Dotson. He was from Padukah Kentucky. His dad used to mail him a jug of real, home made, white lightning every once in a while. The jugs were one gallon glass and so that they didn't get broken in the mail, they were packed in huge boxes of shredded newspapers. When the boxes arrived, EVERYONE knew what was in them. That stuff was almost as powerful as Turkish RAKI! As I remember, when Dot left Turkey, his next duty station was in Hawaii. I am probably like a lot of other people, and only write when something really affects me. I know that you haven't heard from me in a long time; I sort of feel like a "user." I read your notes, but have only contributed once or twice. I always read all your DOOL's when they arrive, and have saved them all, since I've been receiving them. It is interesting reading of the people and events that happened around the time that I was in Sinop. You do compose a nice newsletter and I really do enjoy it. While I am looking for more people that I served with, I realize that what you publish is fairly random. You can only publish what you receive.

As a "short termer," 3 years and 7 months, I envy you "lifers." The camaraderie that you guys show, even after this many years, really makes me know what I missed when I got out. I always did, and still do know, that the ASA was the best unit in the service. ...But I am happy with what I am doing, and won't cry over spilt milk. Some of the others who publish on the web, don't have the information, nor the interest that your notes do. Keep up the good work. If you want to drop back to 2 issues per month, so be it. I'd rather get them like that, than have you continue to send them out weekly and then get so tired of it that you quit. So, do what ever you want, but keep it up! I know that I don't thank you often for your newsletter, but this is an excellent opportunity to do so. We did not attend the 2003 reunion as I'm still working and travel quite a bit. When I am home, I stay there.... but in a few years the last of the kids will be on her own / in college, and I'll have some more freedom, and $$. (To be honest, I'd make a greater effort it anyone else that I served with was attending. GREAT idea, to publish the names of those attending,). Interestingly enough, DOOL #122 showed the first name of a fellow Sinop alumni that I actually worked with - Dave Linker. I remember him and will blast off a note to him. You know that the road to you-know-where is paved with good intentions, right? I know that I promised to send along the names of some of the guys, and maybe a story or two, when you first started sending me your newsletter. Did I ever do it? Sorry to admit it, but while I read every issue, sometimes the gist of the anecdotes escapes me quickly, especially when I don't know any of the participants, of when the stories took place before I arrived. Don't get me wrong, it is interesting, but my old head can hold only so much. I do have some pictures, I think color prints, that I took when I was there. Are they anything that you might be able to use? I would have no problem loaning them to you, ...our middle daughter works in an Eckert photo department, maybe she can scan them in.. ... as long as some day, I get them back. I remember that I had a Kodak camera that used the old 620 size film when I was there, but the camera never made it out with me. I took my last roll of pictures on the bus (I think it was a bus, and regrets to those who preceded me and traveled in more primitive, and less comfortable, ways,) but I set the camera on the floor by the driver, for some reason, and completely forgot about it. I always wondered who found it, and what happened to the film. You asked a couple of questions, that I can help with. The song "going home" was really the Peter, Paul and Mary hit "Leaving on a Jet Plane."

Alsaamaladick, (I know that I blew that one, and didn't even try spell check!)

RIEDY, Richard D., DOB: 1936, RA19549080, E-4, 965.1676 (Turk Interpreter), Det 4, OC57-MR59, 260 Gensen Drive SW, Los Lunas, NM 87031, 505-865-3874, Elder Green, This is Richard Riedy in New Mexico. Back online. Hope this finds you and yours well (what is a "hunting place"?). Please note the new e-mail address. Have gone back through all the Days of Our Lives issues since I left the Internet, and much enjoyed them. Didn't seem to be as much about this year's reunion as those in the past. Question: I have a lot of pictures of Det 4, etc., and some pieces of memorabilia I've uncovered, but who should get them? Do I send them to you or to Bill Simon? (Do either of you even want them?). As for your question about the future of Days of Our Lives: well, there just isn't an infinite fund of persons to draw on, needless to say. Only so many people ever passed through the Turkey sites--I can only refer to those of us who were in on the early days-- and it now comes down to questions of those who are still alive, and among them those who know about Days of Our Lives, those who don't, and among those, those who don't care whether they know about it or not. Once those who get to know about your page contribute their stories, there's not much more for them to do. People try to locate other people and get them in, but after a while you've probably got just about everybody who's ever going to be contacted. What you've done with Days of Our Lives is, I think, absolutely magnificent. But I have to say that I have been a little saddened to find that only one Det 4 guy I knew personally is active--good ol' Ernie Carrick. Ernie and I knew each other, both from work and living in the same barracks, but didn't pal around together. [My sincerest thanks to you for getting my old buddy Joe Delnero and me connected--after 43 years. We had a long, long talk on the telephone, catching up. The most exhilarating experience I've had in many a moon.] A few others, like Jim Boyte, are gone. But, and this is a big but, I haven't seen on the site any of my "pal around" friends (like Hatcher, Boardman, Lowry McKinnon, Dave Cross, and a couple of others, like Dr. Nejati). Not that I had that many friends as the nature of my work was, I'm afraid, a little offputting to a lot of the guys. I'm sure I'm not alone in that , and possibly some guys say, Well, there isn't anyone I knew, and lose interest. And then, too, I have to say that I don't blame anyone if they simply don't want to take a trip back into the past, don't want to be reminded of Det 4. A lot of guys wanted to get the dickens out of there even before they got there. As with any military installation, Det 4 had its dark undercurrents. While I personally can say Det 4 could be hell one day and heaven the next, for me everything right up to this morning is water under the bridge (me, I live very much in the present), I imagine some people can't or won't I also belong to the Air Force Karamursel page, and I have found the same thing there. There were a lot more people there, and so far I've seen the names of only two I knew--one like Boyte is dead, and the other was just in passing reference by someone else. My really close friends are not present. I personally enjoy sharing memories, but it's even more enjoyable when they're truly "shared" memories. But be that as it may, I certainly hope Days of Our Lives continues, if only perhaps as an "occasional". I have the Huntsville reunion marked on the calendar, but can't commit. On the 2004 calendar are four reunions (including a family one) and one other significant occasion (my sister's and brother-in-law's 50th), all of which I'd like to attend.. Unfortunately, I don't have five bank accounts, so it will probably be just the latter, and being in San Diego, it's also the closest. However, I saw that possibly the 2005 reunion would be in San Antonio which would be a better draw for me (I also spent a summer there at Kelly and at San Angelo when I was in the Air Force). Remains to be seen--nothing that winning the lottery wouldn't cure. Sorry for the rambling, and again, I hope this find you and yours well.

REYMOND, George,- Greetings: I was a Marine Security Guard at Sgt. Jack Dunlap's "last place of employment" from 1961-63. Dunlap occasionally stopped by our barracks in the evening to shoot pool and B.S. with some of the guys. I often wondered why he hung around the Marine Security force. In retrospect, I guess it was a lot like the criminal hanging around the police station -- the thrill of being there was too much of a rush to pass up. He was a flamboyant guy -- fancy cars and pretty women were the order of the day. I have always been facinated by the Dunlap story. I can still remember him smiling as though he knew something that the rest of us did not. Years later, I actually considered writing my Master's thesis on him. The March 7, 1964 issue of the Saturday Evening Post gives some of the details of his mysterious death. If my memory serves me correctly he was buried very quickly, without autopsy but with full military honors. I just purchased a copy of the above referenced magazine on e-bay and am looking forward to reviewing the story. I remember some of us arresting a very young Barbara Walters when she showed up at the NSA parking lot with a film crew to do a follow-up story on Dunlap. My comments is simply to share a small bit of information regarding a dark figure in American history.

RICHARD, Gary, DOB: 1932, RA54095988, E6-E7, 059/K Det 27 & 4-4, 66-NO69, (Carolyn), 12835 Castle Bend St., San Antonio, TX 78230, 210-492-2574, - [edited] Hi Elder..... Carolyn and I just returned from an extended trip and I've stopped receiving DOOL's. If you could get me
back on line I would appreciate it. Hope you and your family are doing well. Keep in touch...

RICHTER, Ralph, DOB: 1944, RA15734622, E5, 059, Det 27, NO66-NO67, (Linda), 9152 Burgett Rd., Orient, OH 43146, 614-877-4890, - Hey Top, Thanks for sending the picture of me at Manzarali... Things are going well at home and with US Cargo. Just moved our Pittsburgh operation into the old Duquesne Brewery distribution center. Have pictures in my mind what the place must have been like with all that beer moving through there! Linda, Lee and I moved to a new house (new to us) back in August. We're country folks now-- a couple of acres out in the soybean
fields. Our neighbor has a grass runway that comes into our back yard. Thinking about getting my pilots license renewed. How are you and Patty doing? Sorry we couldn't come to the 2003 reunion in
September. That was right after our move and we were busy getting things unpacked. Hope you both have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Going out to Colorado again soon? Updated my MASTER ROSTER entry info for you. Thanks for writing and take care.

SINOR, Walter, E4, F&AO, Det 27, 62-63, (Betty), 3049 County Road 239, Valley Head, AL 35989-4721, (256)635-6860, 877-453-5097 (toll free), Congratulation on running in the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon with a qualifying time of 3:58:20 for entry into the Boston Marathon to be held in April 19, 2004.

SPRINGMEYER, Roy L., DOB: 1938, RA26245135, E3-E5, 058, Det 27, OC60-OC62, (Nancy), 319 W. Oakview Dr., Visalia, CA 93277, 559-732-1310,
I enlisted in Denver, Colorado for ASA duty in January 1960. Arrived at Manzaralli Station in September 1960 for what I thought was a 18 month tour but due to the Berlin Crisis I had the pleasure of staying 2 years and 21 days. It worked out for me because with the extension I had less than 90 days to go on my enlistment so I was given an early out. The scariest thing about the whole situation was that some other guys and I had orders to come home and Pres. Kennedy made his famous speech about the blockade of Cuba three days before our scheduled departure. We just knew that we were going to get another JFK extension. Some of us kind of hid out those last three days, thinking that if they couldn't find us they couldn't change our orders. Well, we got off on time and drank the plane dry between Paris and New York. I was assigned to Trick #2 all the time I was at Site 23. I met some pretty decent people and some of the friendships still linger on after all these years. I have some bad news, I recently became aware of the deaths of two of our old Trick #2 buddies, namely Bob Erickson and William McClelland, Larry Vanvekoven, another 058, informed me that he, too, has had health problems and that he has had a heart transplant and that Wm McClelland died in the 1970's from cancer. Maybe Larry can fill us in a little more about McClelland's death. Bob Erickson from Iowa passed away in February of 1999. I talked to his widow Sharron (563-427-3353 - if you call, call early as she works and goes to bed early), and she said that Bob often talked about his Det 27 experiences and friends from his ASA days almost every day of his life. Both of these guys will be missed.
I remember a few incidents that occurred while I was at Det 27. But keep in mind that was forty years ago and perhaps my memory has faded. One incident that stands out concerned most of the Trick #2 manual morse section. I did not participate in this event but savored the stories about it. Seems a
group of Trick #2 guys went Bowling in one of the Bars in Ankara called the Majestic Bar. They were all having a great time bowling (buying tea) for the girls but when the time came to pay the Tab a dis-agreement occurred about the amount owed. Somehow a regular riot broke out and the Turkish
Police and the Air Police got involved and all the guys were taken to the station. As I recall there were several forms of disciplinary action taken. Maybe you can get the whole story at the reunion. All the Trick #2 athleticteams were known after that as the "Majestic Raiders".
I remember when some of the guys on our trick would draw pictures on 3X5 cards and color them up to resemble flames and whatever. Then a few choice slogans began to appear here and there on the stupid little cards. Some of the slogans were like FTA etc. These cards were a harmless form of self expression. However, this one ROTC Lieutenant whose nickname was FEARLESS pushed the panic button and collected some of the cards and turned them in and a major investigation occurred to
determine if the Communists had infiltrated Manzaralli. Well, this caught on like wildfire. We had a T-shirt flying on the flagpole one morning with FTA printed front and back. We even had one of the numerous stray dogs wearing a T-shirt with FTA printed on it and sporting it all around the Post. It wasn't too long after that, that all the stray dogs disappeared. The Communists must have gotten them! Anyway, I think one of the investigators brought down from Europe figured out that this whole affair was a lot to do about nothing. But it sure provided a diversion for a while. Nothing ever came of it.
We all remember the Alcoholic Asak (donkey) who liked to hang out on the patio at the NCO Club and drink beer with the boys. It also liked cruising the sidelines at the Flag Football games begging for beer. I saw him, on a couple of occasions, walk up behind someone on the sideline and nudge them in the back with his snout. I guess it was his way of asking the person to share his beer. I really don't know what ever happened to our alcoholic friend, but one of the stories going around just before l left Turkey was that he had been out rolling in the mud and had gotten himself matted with mud and he stopped by the rear of the Mess Hall, just like he always did, to get a hand out from the kitchen help. Well. rumor had it that one of the German or Italian cooks saw him and was repulsed by his filthy condition so he told a couple Abis to clean him off. So they proceeded to do it.........with a steam cleaner! He was last seen heading over the hill. He must have quit drinking cause he never came back. The NCO Club was never the same.
Then there was the case of the broken trees. A lot of effort was put into landscaping the post and a whole bunch of trees about as big around as your thumb were planted lining all the sidewalks. It really looked nice, it surely beat the sight and odor of all that Goat manure that they spread all over every-thing. One night someone worked his frustrations out on the trees on his way back from the NCO Club and broke a whole bunch of them. It really made someone mad, we started having interior guard duty for a while. I missed that one also, my name was on the next duty roster for guard duty the day they stopped it. Its the only time I can remember that the Army's alphabetically by rank policy worked in my favor. I don't think we ever found out who pulled this little caper.
One other little story that I remember involved two ditty-boppers! Ted Langley (from Chicago) and Joe Kelly, from Boston had an ongoing game of "tag" between them for well over a year. It might still be going on for all I know. Anyway, you would see them chasing one another all over,.......... the mess hall, the barracks, one of them would break into a formation to "tag" the other. We would see them in Ankara at the AFEX chasing each other. Langley was on Trick #2 and Kelly was on Trick #3. No place was sacred. The game just went on and on everywhere all the time. After a while when you saw these two guys chasing each other all over the place you kind of accepted it as what they did. .

I got out of the Army and went home to Colorado and then decided to spend the winter with my parents in California. While in California, I got a job in Law Enforcement and spent 22 years in a local Police Dept. Then I went into Public Works for a period of 10 years and worked in almost every Department in the City of Visalia, Calif. I retired in 1995 as Director of General Services. That's about it. I want you to know that I really appreciate the effort you putting into the Reunion and the Newsletter.....Keep up the Good Work it IS appreciated.

STEPHENS, Howard C., (Steve), E4, Det 27, DE60-SE62, (Judy), 3149 Tamarron Dr., Rochester Hills, MI 48309, 248-375-0081, -

Hi Elder, Hope all goes well as you finish up a busy November. Hope the deer and turkeys in your neck of the woods fared well. I wanted to let you know that I am changing e-mail service to Comcast. My new e-address is: Not sure if or how I should notify the rest of our old ASA buddies. For now I'll include a "cc" to the distribution list I use for fwd'g DOOL's. Wishing you and your family a peaceful and joyous Thanksgiving Holiday! As always, Howard "Steve" Stephens

VITALE, Tony Det 4, 59-60, - Hi Elder, how nice to hear from you. Harry Lance mentioned that you might be contacting me and I'm glad you did. My telephone number in Florida (winter home) is 561-967-8814 and in Michigan (my summer home - -boy I sound ritzy don't I? I'm not!) the number is 248-669-6605. The problem is I don't use the phone because I am (deaf, hard of hearing, hearing impaired) take your pick. Think I might have become deaf because I had those damn headphones on for eight hours a day, seven days a week while in Sinop? However, we do have an answering machine and my wife is very good about telling me my messages and even translating for me when there is a live call. In any case I have my email address out there and would love to hear from the guys from "the hill." A couple of people have already sent me emails and (embarrassed blush) I can't for the life of me remember what they look like or anything about them. Bummer! I will be going to your web site to relive some of the old memories. I hated it when I was there because I was just a baby who was away from home for the first time. But as I look back on my days on "the hill" I can recall that there were plenty of fun times. You will be hearing from me again. Thanks for writing. Tony

WAGENBACH, Dean F., DOB: 1936, RA13627795, E3-E4, Supply, Det 27, 58-SE60, RR1, Como, NC 27818 252-398-4984, no e-mail. - Was one of the early-birds at Det 27. Really enjoyed his Tour of Duty at Det 27. Lived on the economy

WAITE, Daryl L E3-E4 Det 66, DE63-JA65, (Hope), 33 N. Washington, Carthage, IL 62321, 217-357-2884, - Elder: A Det 66 member checking in - to keep Manzarali alive

In remembrance of Bob Hope. Nobody has brought this up before, but he may be eligible for Guiness Book of Records - the entertainer seen IN PERSON by more people than anyone else. Considering the USO tours, I can't think of anyone else that could beat his record. (I saw him Dec 63 - Ankara)

Does anyone have capability of taking a VHS tape and converting it to a DVD?

At least twice a month, will receive a message with a genuine Mauler address, but with a suspicious subject line, and apx 127K (lately 98K) length. Will contact person to confirm the message and find he did not send it. It appears a spammer has obtained a list of our addresses and faking them to get through. Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone accidentally opened one? What was the result?

Promotions were generally based on performance and competition when allocations were available. However, allocations sometimes literally rained down - and sometimes dried up for years. My theory is they were based on - this should be no surprise- how badly they wanted RE-UPS in your MOS and location. Can anyone add to this?

So far, have been unable to locate this member of Det. 4. He and I served at Ft. Gordon, Ga in 1963. I later landed at Det 66 Manzarali, he at Sinop. He was best remembered for losing a finger over a slam-dunk in a basketball game. Anyone have any idea where he was from?

Located in suburban St. Louis. I hear some have been lost, but I reviewed mine once while in St.Louis. Anyone else interested in researching, contact me.

1. Variations of name. Remember when we were trying to locate MAU? When located, his address turned out to be maun@ Might try name variations at Hotmail, Yahoo, and Aol - the most popular ones. Will net a lot of returned (no such name) messages, but one might hit.
2. QRZ website. There is a good chance, especially among transmitter personnel that they have an amateur radio license. QRZ allows search by name and locations, plus other keywords. Located several this way. However, have not located a listing for the commercial FCC license holders. (Note: entering key word TURKEY is useless - because of multitude of turkey hunters!)
3. If you have the service number, it will tell you where he enlisted. There is a good chance he returned to that area. This strategy worked in finding NAU - his number indicated enlistment at St. Louis. Narrowed search to Ill and Mo and located him near Springfield, Mo.
4. And of course Yahoo people search - if they have a listed telephone number. Any other proven methods?

WHEELON, Lorne F., (Larry), DOB 1944, RA28958437, 33C, E4-E5, Det 4, DE67-DE68, (Yvonne), 11555 SW Hazelwood Loop, Tigard, OR 97223, - Contacted on 27 November 2003. Enlisted in 1966 in the USMC and got a 90 day delay in order to get his affairs in order. During that period Larry got mono and the Marine Corps issued him a Honorable discharge. Later he enlisted in the Army and the ASA for 4 years in the electronics field. Took basic at Fort Ord, California, then onward to Fort Devens with his wife. They resided in Ayer. Larry completed basic electronics and Hi-Frequency radio repair and was awarded PMOS 33C. After completing school he was transferred to a Holding Company at Devens and given Emergency Leave as his wife had just given birth to a son at the Fort Devens Hospital. Later his wife went back to Portland, Oregon and Larry to Turkey. Arrived at Istanbul, then took boat to Sinop and his 11 month 20 day stay. While there he worked on the antennas to make sure that they were tracking electronically. Some of his off-duty hours were spent in the photo lab and also attended Turk language classes on the post. Remembers Dennis Federer and John Fazio, both 33C's. Departed Sinop on a boat. Was sent to Fort Devens where he was a instructor in the 33C MOS until being discharged. Went back to Oregon, completed college and worked in the optical field. In a way he says that he would like to do it over again as he would have liked to have visited the historical sites in Turkey. Wanted to be a minister. Has 5 children and 13 great grandchildren. Promised to send photo's and write a BIO.


wl's Nest-1.jpg