From: "ercgreen"
Subject: DAYS OF OUR LIVES #133
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:05:00 -0500


This newsletter is intended only for the use of the ASA TURKEY Veteran's. If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately. Comments or submissions to the DAYS OF OUR LIVES are most welcome. I will respond to all e-mails and will assist whenever needed, but reserve the right to edit for content and clarity and welcome any errors that may appear herein. Whether you choose to share your BIO is a personal choice. However, information not shared is the same as information lost. Keep in mind that the Internet is a universe unto itself and is a dang near veritable hell-hole filled with scams, scam artists, frauds, thieves, and greedy people, etc. In the old days, back when mail crossed the country in days, identity theft still took place. Today, e-mail crosses the country at the speed of light. The crooks do too. Your privacy is extremely important. Therefore, if you wish not to receive future DAYS OF OUR LIVES, please send that request to

When you send an email to me - PLEASE include the word ASA in the subject line to insure that I open it and not mistake it for SPAM. Thank you- - -gH

GREEN, Elder RC (gH), DOB: 1936, RA13513638, E7, 982/98C, Det 27, 1-15MY61, Det 120, MY-JL65, Det 27, JN66-OC67 & Det 4-4, OC67-NO68, (Patty), 3094 Warren Rd., Indiana, PA 15701, 724-349-7395,

NOTICE: I will be at the HUNTING CAMP THE REST OF NOVEMBER and the next DOOL (#134) will be issued on 28 November 2003. It is apparent that a lot of the OLD-TIMERS have lost interest and caused me to go from a weekly newsletter to one or two per month. I certainly would like to read your comments regarding the future of the DAYS OF OUR LIVES!!






1. Marriott Hotel-Resort-Suites will host the 2004 ASA Turkey Reunion. Their address is Five Tranquility Base, Huntsville, AL 35805.

2. 70 rooms have been blocked for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Hotel can accommodate more if necessary.

3. When you call in, you must mention that you are coming for the ASA Turkey Reunion.

4. Rooms will be $70.00 per night. An 11% state lodging tax and a city surcharge of $1.00 per room per night will be added to your bill. This price is good for Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights only. If you would like to arrive early or stay later than these three days call Mrs Monica Yearick at 256-830-2222 Ext. 6100 and she will work with you on a rate other than the normal rate of $139.00. The normal rates for this time of year are Singles $139.00 + and Parlor 275.00.

5. If you require a handicap room you must make it known at the time that you make your reservations.

6. You may make your reservation by calling 1-888-299-5174 or 256-830-2222. If you need to send a FAX - 256-830-1336. I would suggest that you call the 256 number rather than the national reservation desk.

7. All reservations must be accompanied by a first night deposit or guaranteed with a major credit card.

8. Reservation by attendees must be received on or before August 1, 2004 (the CUTOFF DATE).


Family Friendly Environment: The Marriott staff brings Southern hospitality to life! Board games at the front desk, a Sony Play Station in every sleeping room and a game room with video and pinball games are just some of the benefits. You may want to enjoy the indoor/outdoor-heated pool, sauna or Jacuzzi. Fully equipped fitness facility is also available.

"Otters" a nightclub on premise offers great munchies, drinks and favorite music. Porters Steakhouse is open nightly - an features a sixteen-ounce Porterhouse, grilled and basted with herbed olive oil, garnished with fried onions rings and laced with Beamaise and Demi-glace sauce! I am sure that you will enjoy not only what the Marriott offers but other fine national restaurant chains as well as local cafés and restaurants.


All accommodations are handicap friendly. All meeting room and restaurants are located on the first floor. Elevators are readily accessible for everyone's use as all rooms are above the 1st floor.


Arrangements have been made for two hospitality rooms (706 & 727) if needed. Room 727 is close to elevator and will be provided for Thursday through Saturday night at no cost to the reunion. Room 706, if needed, will be available only for Thursday and Friday nights at no cost to the reunion. These rooms will be stocked with your favorite beverages and snacks prior to your arrival.


Marriott provides a Courtesy Van for those wishing to use it from Huntsville International Airport. If you need the use of this transportation, please call 256-830-2222, so the van will be at the airport when you flight arrives.


A RV Park is co-located near the Marriott. The RV-Park is owned and operated by the US Space and Rocket Center. Reservation must be made through the Space and Rocket Center at 256-837-3400.


US Space & Rocket Center, Earlyworks Museum, Huntsville Museum of Art, Historic Huntsville Depot, Botanical Gardens, Burritt on The Mountain, Alabama Constitution Village, Twickenham Historic District, Von Braun Center and Madison Square Shopping Mall are all nearby. The Huntsville Trolley

Company services most of these locations. Veteran's Memorial Museum located in John Hunt Park is also worth a visit. Harrison Brother Hardware, located on the square, established in 1879 is Alabama oldest operating hardware store.


Bring your clubs. There are several championship golf courses available.

Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail (Hampton Cove) is the northernmost of Alabama public golf course designed by the legendary golf architect and is located 9 miles from downtown Huntsville on US 431 south, 256-551-1818.

Colonial Golf Course, 400 Colonel Drive, Meridianville, AL, 256-828-0431.

Fox Run Golf Course, 870 McCollum Road, Meridianville, AL, 256-828-7564.

Municipal Golf Course Huntsville 256-880-1151.

Sunset Landing Golf Club located at the International Airport, 256-464-5050.

Redstone Arsenal has 54 hole courses. Active duty, retirees, and DOD civilians and their guests.

Goose Pond Colony, 4 miles south of Scottsboro, AL off Highway 79 1-800-268-2884. (Approx. 40 miles from Huntsville)

Goose Pond Plantation, Highway 79 North & County Road 17 1-800-545-8337. (Approx. 40 miles from Huntsville)

Come early and play the whole week.


Atlanta, GA - Take I-20 west from Atlanta till it intersects with I-65 north. Take I-65 north until exit #340, this will be exit for I-565. Take I-565 East to Exit #15 for the Space and Rocket Center. You will be able to see the Marriott as you exit the interstate.

Nashville, TN - Take I-65 south from Nashville until exit #340. Exit on #340 onto I-565 east. Take I-565 East to Exit #15 for the Space and Rocket Center. You will be able to see the Marriott as you exit the interstate.

Chattanooga, TN - Take I-75 until it meets I-24. Take I-24 west until you reach the exit for US 72 west at Kimbell/South Pittsburgh, TN. Take US 72 west to I-565. Take I-565 west to exit #15 for the Space & Rocket Center. You will be able to see the Marriott as you exit the interstate.

Memphis, TN - Take US 72 east from Memphis and exit onto Research Park Boulevard. Take I-565 east and exit at #15. You will be able to see the Marriott as you exit the interstate.


Unfortunately, all reunions must have a sound financial base. It is no different with this reunion. We are finding out that every place we go and everything that we try to accomplish cost money. We are still trying every avenue to reduce the cost of this reunion. We know that the dinner on Saturday evening is going to cost $35.00 per person. We know that it is going to cost an additional amount per person, but we will not know this amount until after the first of the year. Rest assured that Walter Sinor and my self will do everything possible to hold the cost to a manageable amount. Several suggestions have been made to us by other Turkey Reunion personnel and we have/are checking each of these recommendations. The Huntsville/Madison County Visitors Convention & Visitors Bureau will be working with us and will provide some free service that we would normally have to pay for. The more people that we have attend, the more they can do.


Any one wishing to bring their memorabilia, and need any special requirements, please make your requirements known ASAP.

All individuals that are bringing slides and need projectors please make your requirements known. ALSO. If you are driving you might want to consider bringing you own projector to show your slides. Ernie has an OLD Airequip projector that will take circular or box cassettes. Please review your slides and have them in order prior to arriving. We would also appreciate the total number of slides that you will be showing. We hope to have some sort of schedule so that we can make this meeting more interesting to all.

Any individuals needing computer image enhancing equipment please provide details on your requirements ASAP.


WHITE, Edward C., CPT, Det 27, 57-59, b-2 September 1919 d-17 October 1990, SSN 578-05-6557 issued in DC. - Hi R.C., To answer your question...........My Dad was Edward C. White. He served in the US Army for 25 + years and retired as a LTC. Don't remember if he made Major while in Turkey or after we left for Fairfax, VA. While in Turkey was assigned to JUSMATT in Ankara from 1957 to 1959. However, his unique position took him throughout Turkey as well as elsewhere. He had an AF pilot and plane assigned to his office. One of his pilots was, as I recall, a Maj. Harry Piper and another I believe named Broderick. He died in 1990 and my mother died in 2002. In handling my mother's estate I came across a number of things relating to Turkey. As I can, I will submit those items that seem to be of interest. During the tour in Turkey, I was a student at Ankara High School through my junior year. I finished in Fairfax, VA in 1960. While in Turkey, because I was involved in Sunday morning horse back riding, the rodeo and also playing a guitar for a GI quartet. The greatest number of my close friends were GI's. It was during some of the activities with the quartet that I met a group out of Sinop and specifically their guitartist, Ray Thompson. They really put on a great show. While this association was brief, I never forgot them. While just "jacking around" with this computer, I put TUSLOG Det. 30 just to see what would happen. To my surprise, I get a web site out of Sinop and on their list of names I find some that I knew personally from Ankara. The rest, as it's said is history. Now I am going through many momentos from my parents from Turkey. Some I hope to share with the Military in Turkey web site as well as others who may be interested. Might be a bit slow in coming, but I will get to it. In the meantime, it's always a pleasure to hear from folks like who shared a rather unique experience. We have a small horse and cattle ranch in Washington County, Texas and it is being built from scratch, just the wife and I. More later. Glad to hear from you. Chris


ANTONELLO, Louis F. (TONY), DOB 1937, RA13576417, E6-E7, 059/05K, Det-27, Jul 65-Feb 68, Gvmt Qtrs 206C; Det-4, Sep69-Sep70, (Valerie), 12257 Wye Oak Commons Circle, Burke, VA 22015, 703-239-1739, - Hi Elder & Patty, Thanks! The photo came through fine (twice). Good idea! Working on the photo booklet of the Seven Springs Reunion. I'm sure it will be appreciated by all. It will reminds us of the good time there!. Glad you both enjoyed your vacation at the Air Force Academy. Its a beautiful area. By the Way: The Chitose reunion in San Diego was outstanding. The weather was great, the accommodations were very good and there was much to see and do. Best of all -- No fires at that time! We also attended the F. S. Augsburg reunion at Blobs Park, near Ft. Mead, MD. They had a good turnout for it.

BERGMANN, Chuck (JC), DOB: 1943, RA15733827, E4, 058, Det 27, MY66-DE67, (Helen), 29813 Foote Rd., Bay Village, OH 44140, 440-871-5346 & Joe Hey's memory of the Pat Campbell pranks brought back some more memories.

BINNEY, Bill (Dumbo) E5 982 Det 27, JA66-JN67, (Carole), 7800 Elberta Dr., Severn, MD 21144, 410-551-9175, - Travel Security/Identity Theft Anyone know about this? I didn't.... FYI. Good personal security information to consider when traveling. Law enforcement professionals assigned to detect new threats to personal security recently discovered that certain information is embedded in many of the credit card type hotel room keys used throughout the industry. Although room keys differ from hotel to hotel, a sample key obtained from a major hotel/motel chain was found to contain the following the information:

a.. Customers (your) name

b.. Customer's partial home address

c.. Hotel room number

d.. Check in date and check out date

e.. Customer's (your) credit card number and expiration date

When you turn the card key in to the front desk your personal information is there for any employee to access by simply scanning the card in the hotel scanner. An employee can take a handful of cards home and using a scanning device, access the information onto a laptop computer and go shopping with your credit card number at your expense. Simply put, hotels do not erase these cards until an employee issues (reissues) the card to the next hotel guest. It is usually kept in a drawer at the front desk with YOUR INFORMATION ON IT. The bottom line is, keep the card keys or destroy them upon checking out of the hotel. NEVER leave them behind in the room and NEVER turn them in to the front desk when you check out of a room. The hotel or motel will not charge you for the card. - Tom Bowe

Center for Disaster Operations and Response, Iowa Dept. of Public Health


The U.S.S. Liberty Bombshell, By Reed Irvine

October 24, 2003

On June 8, 1967, the U.S.S. Liberty, then the worlds most sophisticated intelligence-gathering ship, came under attack in the eastern Mediterranean. After a two-hour attack by planes and torpedo boats, 70 percent of its 294-man crew were either dead or wounded. The attack was launched by a friendly country, Israel, which three days earlier had begun its six-day war with Egypt and was preparing to invade Syria the next day. The Chronicle of the 20th Century, which records newsworthy events briefly in chronological order, says for its entry on June 8, 1967, Sinai: Israelis accidentally attack U.S. ship, killing 10 and injuring 100. That reflects the inadequate and inaccurate reporting by the news media at the time of the attack.

This deplorable incident has festered like a infected wound for 36 years. Israel insisted that its pilots mistook the Liberty for an Egyptian freighter, a claim that those members of the crew who survived the attack deride. They charge that the Israelis conducted aerial surveillance of the Liberty for six hours before they attacked it. They and others familiar with the ship say that it was flying a large American flag, which was replaced by an even larger flag when it was destroyed by the attackers.

They also point out that the claim that the ship was mistaken for an old Egyptian freighter is absurd. As an intelligence ship it was loaded with antennas and carried a large satellite dish on an elevated structure near the stern. It was four times as large as the old Egyptian freighter, and its identification numbers were painted on the bow in white letters 10 feet high. If the numbers couldn't be seen by the Israeli pilots, they could not have been missed by the torpedo boats that fired on the life boats deployed by the Liberty.

The Liberty Alliance, an organization formed to counteract the lies said to have been told to justify the Israeli attack and the cover-up by President Lyndon Johnson, deployed its forces on Capitol Hill on October 22. The chairman of the Liberty Alliance, Adm. Thomas H. Moorer, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, presided over the news conference in the Rayburn House Office Building. The most stunning revelation was a statement by Captain Ward Boston, the senior legal counsel for the Navy's Court of Inquiry into the attack on the Liberty. His statement was read by Rear Admiral Merlin Staring, a former Judge Advocate General of the Navy. Here are portions of what he read.

The late Admiral Isaac Kidd and I were given only one week to gather evidence for the Navy's official investigation. Despite the short amount of time we were given, we gathered a vast amount of evidence, including hours of heartbreaking testimony from the young survivors. The evidence was clear. Both Adm. Kidd and I believed with certainty that this attack, which killed 34 American sailors and injured 172 others, was a deliberate effort to sink an American ship and murder its entire crew. I am certain that the Israeli pilots that undertook the attack, as well as their superiors who had ordered the attack, were aware that the ship was American.

I saw our flag, which had visibly identified the ship as American, riddled with bullet holes, and heard testimony that made it clear that the Israelis intended that there be no survivors. Not only did the Israelis attack the ship for over two hours with napalm, gunfire and hundreds of rockets and missiles, Israeli torpedo boats machine-gunned three life boats that had been launched in an attempt to save the crew-a war crime.

After saying he was moved to speak out by a book titled The Liberty Incident by Jay Cristol, he described it as an attempt to whitewash the facts. He then dropped a bombshell, saying, I have firsthand knowledge from many personal conversations with Adm. Kidd that President Lyndon Johnson and Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara personally ordered him to cover up the true facts and conclude the attack was a case of mistaken identity despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. He did not mention that LBJ also rescinded an order to send carrier-based fighter planes that were only 15 minutes away to defend the Liberty.

The Liberty Alliance is pressing for an official, openly conducted reinvestigation of the tragedy that will consider this new testimony, along with the evidence that was suppressed or ignored. Some say that cover-ups ordered by presidents cant succeed because someone in the know will talk. Capt. Boston has finally talked. He and the Liberty survivors deserve a hearing - Reed Irvine is the Publisher of the AIM Report and can be reached at

CANTRELL, Alphieus (Al), DOB: 1926 RA SP3-SP2 Det 4, MY55-MY56, (Libby), 4340 Silverado Trl, Calistoga, CA 94515, 707-942-6642/8059 Al sent me the ACLU position on the wearing of the cross.....

CARUSO, Vincent P., (Vince), DOB: 1940, RA18538766, E3, Disp Det 4, 59-60, (Glenda), 5450 Barataria Blvd., Marrero, LA 70072, 504-328-0032, Really enjoy your newsletters and am tracking down the LOOK HOMEWARD book by Jim Boyte about the building of the chapel at Det 4. I've read that Jim Boyte spent over two years at SINOP overseeing the chapel being built and was extremely upset when the first chaplain sent there was a Catholic. I'll send you some pictures of my TOUR of DUTY in Sinop and a few current photo's as soon as we replace our scanner. Here is a edited re-run and update of a former ASA'er who served two hardship TOURS during his three years of active duty. The first was at Tongduchon, South Korea and last was at SINOP. Both were very very cold places Of his assignments, memories of his friends in Company B, 321st ASA Company and at Det 4 remain among the fondest. After the ASA, Vince returned to New Orleans and worked for his father who owned a nightclub in the French Quarter for a short time. Got married and established his own Air Freight business in New Orleans in 1964 and still operates the business, but on a down-sized version.


I enlisted in New Orleans for 3 years in the ASA on 3 September 1957 as a 17 year old . Took basic training at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas and was considered part of the BROWN SHOE ARMY in that I was issued one Olive Drab (OD) uniform (that included the high-peaked dunce cap that was also known by another name) and one GREEN uniform with the bus drivers cap. . Was lucky in that I was issued black shoes and boots while others got the russet or brown footwear that had to dyed. [It is important to note that the transition from the old OD uniform to the new green uniform began in September 1956 and was met with mixed bittersweet emotions by former WWII and Korean War veterans who were still on active duty.] After basic was sent to Fort Devens to attend MORSE CODE training, but got side tracked and ended up in the Supply field. My first tour was with Company B, 321st ASA Battalion at Camp Casey - Tongduchon in South Korea. where I worked in the antenna field as a lineman. The 321st USASA Battalion consisted of two companies, Company A was located adjacent to the town of Yongjukol in tactical support of the 1st Cavalry Division (later 2nd Infantry Division) area and Company B. At that time the 321st was part of the 508th USASA Group that was located in Yongdongpo, just across the Han River from the main part of Seoul. The 7th Infantry Division was garrisoned at Camp Casey and they wore the hourglass patch. Whereas, we the ASA , wore the bulleye patch of our battalion - the Camp Casey MP's hated us as we could get away with a lot as we did not come under their regulations. Company B also had a detachment which was located at Camp Alamo (I never made it there) on the DMZ and had its own compound. Camp Alamo not only was the northernmost ASA unit in Korea, but the northernmost US Army unit of any kind in Korea. It was close to Chorwon, the only Korean city to be completely destroyed in the Korean war.


I remember the thriving mud-street town of Tongduchon with fond memories. Tongduchon had tiny streets lined with shops and nightclubs. The shops sold almost everything imaginable and the nightclubs sold titillation, at the very least. The bars had American names and were geared to lonely and homesick GIs like myself out for a night on the town. Most, if not all, had signs outside saying they're for GI's only. One must remember that in 1958 South Korea was dirt-poor and today is the world's 12th largest economy. I thoroughly enjoyed my Tour of Duty in Korea. Got myself into trouble by LOSING my World-Wide ASA Badge in one of those HOTSPOTS and got the first of two demotions. The third demotion was a mistake from a mistake that I like to reminiscence about. More on that later. I remember with a grin the "medical problems" that seemed to somehow originate from the Tongduchon hotspots and later from the KARI-HANI in Turkey. I also remember the kimchi delicacy and yakimondo. Yakimondo consisted of tasty little stuffed fried dumplings, dipped in a fiery pepper soy sauce. Anyone else remember those delicacies?

Returned stateside to Co C, 316th ASA Battalion at Fort Huachuca, Arizona in April 1959 - When I arrived the company was on maneuvers to Camp Roberts and Hunter Liggett Military Reservation in California. Remember 1SG Young and Sgt Humphrey at Huachuca. Humphrey was the detail sergeant and could usually be seen with a hammer in his hands. I vaguely remember a E5 Sergeant named Elder RC Green as being there in July 1959. Stateside duty was too gung ho for me - extended my enlistment 3 months so that I was qualified to go to Sinop - arrived August 1959 - left September 1960. When I got to Sinop, I was suppose to work with WO Jackson in Supply - but wound up in the dispensary (because I could type) and was cross-trained as a medic. Worked with Captain (Dr.) Lewis and SFC Otis "Wayne" King who was an outstanding NCO and a PRINCE to anyone who knew him. I remember Eddie Coates (he ran the KYSO radio station) - Don Eislofer, from near West Point, NY - Rhodan - Gieger - Kingsbury (ran the Library) - Nick Caruso (definately remember him - both same last name - both born on 24 August 1940 - both joined the Army on 3 September, me in 1957 and Nick in 1958. Above I mentioned being BUSTED a third time! Here's how it happened: I was promoted to SP4 on 6 May 1959 and got BUSTED on 7 May 1959!! It was Nick Caruso who was to be promoted, not me! There are many others that I served with at Det 4, but the names escape me. I also remember someone drawing humorous postcards of life on the hill. The more I think about it, the more incidents pop up. Funny tho, I can recall a lot more incidents than names? I recall the hepatitis survey - that was in progress when I first arrived – by an Air Force Sgt (I believe his name was Neal). He would come up either once or twice a month. However, we had to take blood samples twice a week (that ring a bell?). John J. Heath was the manager of the EM Club. I believe he was from NJ.

I'll mention incidents I can remember - some may ring a bell with others.

** The time me an another GI bought two small black bear CUBS for 5 dollars in downtown Sinop from a travelling GYPSY and brought them back to the HILL. We built a cage for the cubs from landing strips (PSP) and nearly everyone enjoyed feeding and cuddling the cubs for a couple of weeks. Then one morning we found the cage door open and the cubs were gone! Never did find out who released the cubs or for what reason. Anyone out there remember those Cubs?? I enjoyed the DOOL (#89) entry regarding a ASA Captain named Elliott who bought one CUB while at Samsun. The dates of Captain Elliott's tour is not known. The AIR FORCE made the CUB a mascot and initially called the cub "Captain Elliott", and later it was changed to Gulan. Has anyone ever found the former Captain Elliott?

**The library fire (Kingsbury ran the Library).

**The KYSO radio station run by Eddie Coates. I remember Coates because I gave him an 8 oz bottle of Cheracol for his cough (Cheracol had Codeine in it). Anyway, about a 1/2 hour later, he calls me wanting to know if he could get more - to say he sounded a little spaced out is an understatement.

**The card and crap games on payday nites at the HILLTOP CLUB - after two or three days, the card game always wound up in our hut behind the dispensary.

**A bunch of us used to go downtown Sinop to rent horses for horseback riding - I could not take the wooden saddles.

**The shops downtown - several had barrels of handguns - American - German - Russian - Etc ...... I still have a S&W (circa 1860) handgun that I bought for $3.

**Four handed pinochle games in the Mess Hall at nite.

**A section of the Sinop beach that the Sinop council allocated to us for swimming - I recall one day in "July" on the beach - sand was so hot, to stand in it, you had to dig your feet down to where it was moist. Yet, the water was so cold, we would put our cans of beer in the shallow part, and within 5 minutes the beer was ice cold. Three of us decided to brave the cold and dove in. One guy came right up and out - I stayed in about 30 to 40 seconds - The third, a American civilian who worked with the contracted construction company (who name I cannot recall) stayed in about 2 to 3 minutes..........Brrrrrrr!

**I recall attending a really wild party that the British chaps invited us GI's to. Their site was behind us on the HILL. Think that the party was in celebrating the birth of Prince Andrew, but not sure.

**Remember 3 guys mountain climbing - one fell - really bad sprain - I had to climb down to get him - we had to wait for a boat to come around to pick us up.

**Oh, back to the beach - In July 1960 three of our guys on the beach one day by themselves and they were jumped by approximately 30 Turks! I've since found out from DOOL entries that those involved were Judd Bowers, Don Lewis and Don Cairns. I'm still scratching my head - I thought sure that one of them was Harry Abraham. Anyway, I remember assisting Dr. Lewis in the Det 4 dispensary. One had a knife wound on his left hand and a deep gash on the back of his head - another had minor stab wounds - and the third had a broken right hand. Dr Lewis used tongue depressors as splints. I remember the next morning going with the Post Commander and Dr Lewis and those involved to the military governor's office in Sinop. All of TURKEY at that time was under the control of the TURK MILITARY coup. The Sinop area was under the control of a hardcore Turk Colonel who was in good standing with the Det 4 commander. While the brass were inside discussing the incident with the Turk Army Colonel we were outside on the porch - Us G.I.'s on the right and the Turks on the left. The Turks looked terrible and were extremely nervous. Anyway, I was sitting next to Judd Bowers, he reached inside his top pocket with his left hand and pulled out a cigarette. One of the involved Turks came over with a bogus smile on his battered face and asked Bowers for a cigarette. If he was looking for sympathy from Bowers, he didn't get it. Bowers smiled, and said, "You want a cigarette?" The Turk nodded - Bowers crumbled the cigarette in his left hand, threw it in the Turk's face - closed his right hand (remember, there were 4 tongue depressors taped on his hand) - punched the Turk in the mouth. The Turk went over the railing - the Turk authorities came running out. It was one crazy moment! I thought sure that Bowers would be thrown in the FAMOUS waterside jail in Sinop. Instead they arrested the Turk. This a true story - I can still hear those tongue depressors cracking when he closed his hand. If you hear from Bowers or Abraham, ask them about it.

**I remember having to go to Ankara for a "First-Aid Instructors Course." There were 4 of us that went - myself, Rhodan (I believe from the Carolinas), Ross and McKinney or McKenzie. Anyway, it lasted a week, but for some reason(s), we could not get a ride back for about 3 weeks. MSgt Horvich finally came down to be sure we got back. The reason I remember this incident so well is, while in Ankara, I ran into MSgt Young (from Fort Huachuca), introduced Horwich to Young. While sitting at the table, Horvich told Young, "These people (meaning Ankara) hate to see my boys come down here, because they are the meanest, drinkingest, fightingest S.O.B.'s to hit this city." Naturally, all of us popped up and stuck out our chests. Speaking of Ankara - who was the heavy set MSgt who ran things for us in Ankara - wasn't it Burnett - Burdette - something like that.

**I still have the cigarette lighter from the HILL. It has a map of Turkey on one side with Sinop spelled out - on the other side it says: Hill Top Club. Anyone else one?

**Charlie Rodrigues contacted me and informed me that he still remembers the series of shots in the rear that I gave him. I think Charlie was my first victim after one of his few trips off the hill.

**I remember that driving in Korea and Turkey was an enthralling real-life adventure.


ERICKSON, Ron, DOB: 1940, RA17575612, E4, 059, Det 27, MY61-DE62, (Kathy), 17204 E 37th Terrace, Independence, MO 64055, 816-373-3349,

GARLAND, Noel - Former ASA'er contributer to the DOOL's - Am looking for additional copies of the post newspaper, of the 1st Tokyo Arsenal, Camp Oji, which existed from 1946 to 1958. Have copies from 1954-55, a few from other years. Would like to find or obtain copies of others that I dont already have, either original, or copies thereof. Can share what we have. These on hand are shown at our reunions, which by the way is next October 8, and 9th, 2004, at the Branson, Mo, Grand Plaza Hotel. Am also interested in finding old copies of the unit alumni newsletter, the "Honeybucket" bulletin, published by and for the men who were stationed at Camp Oji from 1946 to 1952.

HATHAWAY, Milton C., (Milt), DOB: 1941, RA16639328, PFC-SP5, 059 Det 27, ??60-??62, 33924 Klein Rd., Fraser, MI 48026, 586-285-1894, - Contacted on 12 October 2003. Milt was a little confused with my inquiry, but after a few mentions of some of his old Manzarali friends he opened up and we had a most interesting chat.


I was born in Detroit and graduated from Denby High School in June of '59. I went into the Army in Sept. '59 and took basic at Fort Lost in the Woods (Leonard Wood) Mo. I went from there to Fort. Devens for seven months. In the meantime I married Shirley who eventually went to Turkey in '61. I started out as 058, but that was a lost cause, and was transferred to 059. I completed 059 training in May of '60 and went to Turkey in June. I was at Devens with Harold Probert, and Lee Goud who I went to high school with. Lee was an 058 and I think went to Germany.

Getting to Turkey was a job in itself, as I lost my wallet one night on the town and had to wait for new orders and get my shots all over again. I finally made it though and settled in to what I thought would be an 18 month tour. Thanks to the Russians and JFK, as someone else said, it turned out to be 24. (25 for me). We had a pretty good time once we got used to everything. One time we got a deuce and a half from the motor pool and went to Lake Tuz, and Gorme Valley. I wish I knew then what I know now. Of course on the way back we had a flat tire and no spare or tools or something. I don't remember what. We caught hell for that when we did get back. Another time a bunch of us went to Istanbul for 3 or 4 days. We went to a travel agency to get a guide to do some sight-seeing. The owner assigned a very nice looking Turkish woman to take us around. Needless to say she was not happy and didn't want to go with eight American GIs. She did go though and everyone was very respectful of her and we all had a great time.

Does anyone remember Ray Hawk? I don't know if that was his name or a nick name and I never saw it spelled out. His room-mate was a guy from Washington D.C. He was really funny . His favorite trick was to get near you with his cigarette and then touch you with his finger and watch you jump. I read where Sinop had their dog problems too. Rayhawk had a little dog named littlebit who he kept hid., but they finally caught up with it one day. I also remember Vic Pryor, Chuck Teschker, Two lumberjacks from Washington and Oregon. Ones name was Wilson.

I met Charlie Eberhard and Biff O'Hara there and really didn't know about their involvement in Sinop. I kept in touch with Charlie for a few years after we got home. My wife and I did live with Biff and his wife (sorry I forgot her name) and their daughter for about a month before I left. Does anyone remember that cute little Southern girl named Dana? She was so nice but had no experience at most anything. My wife and I had to show her how to take her husbands uniforms into the laundry. I remember that there was a guy in the barracks that always wanted to fight. He never won but he always fought. One day in the day room he told Biff that his wife was a s--t just like Dana. Biffs wife wasn't even there yet, so he and Biff went at it. The trick Sgt came in and wanted to know what was going on. When told he just closed the door and walked away. The guy didn't win that one either.

I came home in August '62 and went to work. I bounced around for awhile in different job shops until I got a job a GM. I spent 35 and a half years there and retired July of 2001.

I would like to hear from anyone who would like to write back. Milt Hathaway

HEY, Joseph W (Joe) E3-E5 058 Det 27, 66-67, 1532 W Ridge St., Marquette, MI 49855, 906-226-9562, - Elder, Got your e-mails. Also got the compilaton of the newsletters and enjoyed reading a few of them. I chuckled at your relating the Pat Campbell and FOCK stories. I would hasten to add to these stories that I was one member of a considerably larger conspiracy in both these incidents. Chuck Bergmann(JC) is not without blame!! I wish I could remember everyone who was involved. I know that we had many co-conspirators with the rock, because everybody wanted to be part of it and the more there were..the harder to catch..


HUNT, Carlos E., DOB: 1937, E2-E4, 058, Det 4, MR58-MR59, (Frankie), 10215 Hwy 79E, Henderson, TX 75652, 903-889-2391, - Merhaba Elder!! I sent you a CD about 4 days ago. I have been having problems with the old computer. I updated to XP and had to install new drivers. I have had my share of problems, but think they are resolved now. We certainly did enjoy the 2003 reunion and your part of Western Pennsylvania. We are looking forward to Huntsville next year. It will be a much shorter drive for us. Thanks for the photo of Jay Goodman and Janet Steffen. Jay left after the first day and I didn't get a chance to get his photo. Jay talked like he would love to go back to Turkey at some point. A friend in Lakeville, Mass and I are going to Eastern Turkey on 14 May 2004 with a local college group, but Frankie said that would be a bit to primitive for her. I think the eastern part will be about as primitive as Sinop was in the late 50's. I have seen some recent videos of the area and it appears to be very poor. Maybe I will get a chance to go back to Sinop one of these days. You did a great job with the reunion. Look forward to visiting with you again in the future.

Cok tesekkur ederim, & Allahaismarladik, Carlos Hunt

JONES, Jesse Det 4, 60-61, 7775-A New York Lane Glen Burnie, MD 21061, 410-760-3480, no email. This info was gathered by Gary Winch

McCLUMPHA, Phil DOB: 1940, RA14791671, E4, 059, Det 4, MR63-DE63, (Sharon), 267 Rockledge Rd., Sapphire, NC 28774, 828-743-3352 & 1006 Village Ln., Atlanta, GA 30303 770-552-5931, Joe Elsberry ( sent info on how to contact his former classmate at the University of Florida, Phil McClumpha. I contacted Phil on 27 October 2003 and when I asked if he served at Sinop - he replied that yes, it was where he got a dishonorable discharge. He thought that I was Joe Elsberry, but soon corrected himself and got serious about his TOUR of DUTY at Det 4. Said that he went to Jacksonville to sign up for the draft and was TALKED into joining the Army Security Agency. Took Basic at Fort Jackson - the to Fort Devens for 058 school where he was able to copy 40 wpm, but was sent to 059 non-morse training. Said that 6 in his class were married and all 6 requested stateside duty and the rest requested assignment to ASA Europe. The unmarried were sent to Fort Carson, CO and the 6 married 059's were sent on a hardship tour to Sinop Turkey.

POE, Marcus F., DOB: 1940, RA14704121, E3-E4, Company Clerk, Det 4, 61-62, (Shelby), 1706 Townsend Forest Ln., Browns Summit, NC 27214, 336-656-7975, - Contacted on 30 October 2003. Is a native of Chester County, PA. Said that he did not enjoy his 11 month stay on the hill. Said that there was three things to do on the HILL: Drink, go crazy or be a queer. Remembers the Turk askera incident at the front gate and the more or less take over of the facility by the TURKS. Was on the airplane that took one of the young GI's from Sinop to Manzarali and landed on the road leading up to Det 27. The people of Turkey are as varied as their landscape, from black hair to blonde, from brown eyes to blue; all combine to make Turkey unique. Said that he remembers the Seven Churches of Revelations (the Apocalypse);and that all are located in Anatolia; Ephesus (Efes), Smyrna (Izmir), Laodicea ad Lycum (Goncali), Sardis (Sart), Pergamum (Bergama), Philadelphia (Alasehir) and Thyatira (Akhisar). These churches were not church buildings as such but congregations.

RICHTER, Ralph, E5, 05K, Det 27, 66-67, (Linda), 1413 Halfhill Way, Columbus, OH 43207, 614-552-2746, - Top, Hope you and Patty are well and enjoying these warm autumn days. Ralph

RIEBER, Gordon L, DOB: 1954, ASA, SP4, 05H, Det 4-4, MR73-JL74, (Cheryl), 3401 7th Ave, Council Bluffs, IA 51501, 712-322-6390, - Greetings, I was with Det 4-4 in 73 and 74. I am trying to locate old 4-4 friends Joe Salyers, Robert Bond and Randy Cook and wife Pam. We left 4-4 together and went to Kelly AFB, he was going to Japan from there and I went to Kansas.

SALCIDO, Donald J., DOB: 1946, RA198424467, E3-E5, 058, Det 27, 66-AU67, 590 Azalea St., Chula Vista, CA 91911, 619-421-3139,

SALINGER, Tony, DOB: 1938, RA14755241, E5, 988RU, Det 27, FE62-MY64, (Joan), 32 Oak Ridge Rd., Bernardsville, NJ 07924, 908-766-0283, Enlisted for duty with the ASA at Raleigh, NC for Russian Language training. Took basic at Fort Jackson, then spent 13 months at Monterey being trained as a Russian linguist. First overseas assignment was to Harrogate, England for 3 months. Did not like the Harrogate assignment and was pleased that he and several

SCHWARTZ, Fred DOB 1939 RA17523856 E3 550 Supply Handler Det 4 NO59-DE60, (Rose), 321 Fain St., Morganton, GA 30560, 706-374-4302, Merhaba Elder and Pat, I am sorry to say that I can't remember any of the guys names in the pictures. The Turk with TKC on his hat was a civilian worker in the mess hall but have no idea what the TKC stands for. If you pass the numbers on to Charley Rodrigues he may remember some of the guys. Charley has been trying to get in touch with you about the hats versus shirts for the next reunion.

SIMMONS, Greg O Det 4, 59-60,, friend of Buck Barrie

I am an old friend of Buck Barrie from Michigan. The newsletter listed him under TAPS. Is it the same buck and could you let me know what happened. I feel so bad that I missed contacting him. Thank you. Greg O. Simmons

WINCH, Gary DOB 1940, RA11386407, E3-E5, 982, Det 27, 25SE62-JN64, (Marian), 105A Askewton Rd., Severna Park, MD 21146, 410-647-2879, - Hi Elder...haven't received a "DAYS OF OUR LIVES" in about three months! Was it something I said...or didn't say? I've come across another ASAer from our days in Turkey; his name is Jesse Jones. He doesn't have Email so I said I'd mail him a copy of "DAYS OF OUR LIVES" when it arrived and all of a sudden I realized it's been months since I've received one. After checking in with Elliott Potter, he assures me that you're still putting them out, so thanks for adding me back onto your mailing list. Hope all is going well with you. Thanks and Cheers/Gary Winch [Please remember to check if anyone thinks that he has missed a issue- - -gH]