From: "ercgreen"
Subject: DAYS OF OUR LIVES #120
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:33:43 -0400


This newsletter is intended only for the use of the ASA TURKEY Veteran's. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify me immediately. Comments or submissions to the DAYS OF OUR LIVES are most welcome. I will respond to all e-mails and will assist whenever needed, but reserve the right to edit for content and clarity and welcome any errors that may appear herein. There are times that I mis-quote, overlook or mis-place items that I intended to include. In those instances - I certainly want to be corrected, etc. Whether you choose to share your BIO is a personal choice. However, information not shared is the same as information lost. Keep in mind that the Internet is a universe unto itself and is a dang near veritable hell-hole filled with scams, scam artists, frauds, thieves, and greedy people, etc. In the old days, back when mail crossed the country in days, identity theft still took place. Today, e-mail crosses the country at the speed of light. The crooks do too. Your privacy is extremely important. Therefore, if you wish not to receive future DAYS OF OUR LIVES, please send that request to Thank you

GREEN, Elder RC (gH), DOB: 1936, RA13513638, E7, 982/98C, Det 27, 1-15MY61, Det 120, MY-JL65, Det 27, JN66-OC67 & Det 4-4, OC67-NO68, (Patty), 3094 Warren Rd., Indiana, PA 15701, 724-349-7395,


ARDEN, Alvin E., E5, Pers, Det 4, 57-58, born: 9 July 1931 died: 5 December 1991. His widow, Ava, lives in Lenor City, TN., 865-986-2087. Alvin's friends at Det 4 were, among others, Ernie Carrick & Harold Mays.

BARKLEY, Frank N., E6, Classified Control/Operations, Det 4, NO57-SE58, born 2 July 1927 died 26 September 1999 at Sanford, Michigan. Arrived at Det 4 with Ernie Carrick.


The following ex-GI's who served in Turkey have made reservations at the 7 Springs resort
If you intend to attend, but not stay at the resort, please send me that fact so that REUNION BADGES can be made.

ANDERSON, Jerry E3-E4 341.10-Teletype repair, Det 27, JL56-JN58, (Sally), 5209, Lindermann Ave., Racine, WI 53406, 262-634-8509, pd $70.

BERLIN, Franz DOB: 1939 RA17534092 E5 98J Det 4, 4-1 & 4-4, 62, (Peg), 300 Arundel Beach Rd., Saverna Park, MD 21146, 410-544-4833,

CARRICK, Ernie DOB: 1936 RA25358534 E3-E4 Personnel Det 4, NO57-OC58, (Betty), 6111 Fairfield Dr., Huntsville, AL 35811, 256-852- 6180,

ERICKSON, Ron DOB 1940 E4 059 Det 27, MY61-DE62, (Cathy), 17204 E 37th Terrace, Independence, MO 64055, 816-373-3349,

GREEN, Elder RC (aka Al & Green Hornet) E7 Det 27, 1-15MY61, JN66-OC67(Buyuk Elgi & qtrs 225-E, eff 18JA67) & 4-4, OC67-NO68, (qtrs 914-4), (Patty), 3094 Warren Rd., Indiana, PA 15701, 724-349-7395, pd $70.

HUNT, Carlos E DOB 1937 E3-E4 058 Det 4, MR58-MR59, (Frankie), 10215 Hwy 79e, Henderson, TX 75652, 903-889-2391,

JONES, Ed DOB: 1944 RA18664602 E5 059 Det 27, OC62-MR65, (Florence), 30 Woodland Hills Dr., Bismarck, IL 61814, 217-759-7773,

LAMBETH, Henry (Hank) DOB: 1940 RA14750951 E4 283.1 Det 4, JN62-63,1419 Marvin Dr., Vinton, VA 24179, 540-890-4508, (cable)

McCULLOUGH, John T DOB: 1938 RA15560286 E3-E4 058 Det 4, 58, (Sue),1044 E. Smith Rd., Medina OH 44256 330-722-6490,

MURPHY, Bob E3-E5 058 Det 27 and Det 4, AP61-AP62, (Peg), 7623 Turnbrook Dr., Glen Burnie, MD 21061, 410-255-0320, and

NEARPASS, Robt D E3-E5 MP Det 27, DE64-DE66, (Lorraine), 111 Hope Crossing Rd., Belvidere, NJ 07823, 908-638-7625, pd $70.

RODRIGUES, Charlie E4 Supply Det 4, 59-60, (Patricia), 210 Benham Ave., Syracuse, NY 13219, 315-487-1195,

SCHWARTZ, Fred Det 4 58-60, (Rose), 321 Fain St., Morganton, GA 30560, 706-374-4302, or pd $70.

STEFFEN, Arnold DOB: 1937 RA16568829 E4 283 Det 4, JL58-JL59, (Janet), 1043 Old Humboldt Rd., Jackson, TN 38305, 731-664-5058,

TAVERNETTI, Dave & Sue, DOB: 1940, 2LT-1LT, Watch Officer TK#4, Det 27, MR62-SE63, 238 Rio Vista Dr., King City, CA 93930, 831-385-4458, pd $70.

VAN ORDER, Roy DOB: 1936 E4-E5 283 Det 4, 27SE60-MY61, (Toni), 8186 Kneeskean Rd., Bridgeport, NY 13030, 315-633-0418, and

WYLIE, Jim (Sick Call), DOB: 1941 RA13774855 E3-E5 993 Det 4, 64-65, (Sharon), 322 Crossfire Ln., Ligonier, PA 15658, 724-238-6457, no email. Pd $70.

ZIMMERMAN, John W. (Bear) DOB: 1941 RA13774858 Det 4, 64-65, (Sherry), RD#4 Latrobe, PA 2nd in MSC Hvy Wt class in 1965 per Mauler. Pd $70.

Blood Pressure Guidelines

The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) has released new clinical practice guidelines for preventing, detecting, and treating hypertension (high blood pressure). The guidelines feature modified blood pressure categories, including a new "prehypertension" level that covers about 22% of American adults (about 45 million persons). High blood pressure is a major risk factor for heart disease; is the

chief risk factor for stroke and heart failure; and can lead to kidney damage. It affects about 50 million Americans one in four adults. Treatment aims for blood pressure to be less than 140 mm Hg systolic and less than 90 mm Hg diastolic for most people with hypertension (less than 130 systolic and less than 80 diastolic for those with diabetes and chronic kidney disease).

Key aspects of the new guidelines include
- In persons older than 50 years, systolic pressure above 140 mm Hg is a much more important cardiovascular risk factor than diastolic pressure.
- The risk of cardiovascular disease, beginning at 115/75 mm Hg, doubles with each increment of 20/10 mm Hg;
- Individuals who are normal at 55 years of age have a 90% lifetime risk for developing hyper-tension.
- Individuals with a systolic pressure of 120 to 139 mm Hg or a diastolic pressure of 80 to 89 mm Hg should be considered prehypertensive and make health-promoting lifestyle modifications to prevent cardiovascular disease.
- For most patients with uncomplicated hypertension, thiazide-type diuretics should be used, either alone or combined with drugs from other classes. Certain high-risk conditions are compelling indications for the initial use of other antihypertensive drug classes (angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, angiotensin-receptor blockers, beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers).
- Most patients with hypertension will require two or more antihypertensive medications to achieve goal blood pressure.
- For blood pressure more than 20/10 mm Hg above goal pressure, consideration should be given to initiating therapy with two agents, one of which usually should be a thiazide-type diuretic. *Optimal therapy requires a high degree of patient motivation.
The NHLBI Web site http// has considerable information, including a free consumer booklet (Your Guide to Lowering Blood Pressure) and a PDF copy of the full report. [Source Consumer Health Digest #03-20, May 20, 2003]


BURRIER, Robt R., Det 4, 62, 1216 Smith, Royal Oak, MI 48073, 248-544-9003, Contacted and sent him a request to up-date his Master Roster listing. Nil response to date.

CARRICK, Ernie, DOB: 1936, RA25358534, E3-E4, Personnel, Det 4, NO57-SE58, (Betty), 6111 Fairfield Dr., Huntsville, AL 35811, 256-852- 6180, I started my active Army - ASA career at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas in July 1956. After basic training I was assigned to Company A, First Student Battalion, ASA Troop Command, ASA Training Center, Fort Devens, Massachusetts. Because I could type 60-70 words a minute, powers to be decided I was 058 material. Needless to say you cannot count dots and dashes, fast. I was also a prison chaser at the local stockade. Guess I got that job because my records showed that I was from Tennessee and I could shoot straight. In January 1957 I was transferred to Arlington Hall Station (AHS) as a 716 personnel specialist. I worked in Top Secret Control Division in "A" Building. In August I was alerted for overseas duty and transferred to Det 4 Sinop, Turkey. I departed the states in October and arrived at Det 4-1 in early November 1957. At Det 4 I was a 716 personnel specialist handling all records of personnel assigned during Nov 57 – Sep 58… Since November was not an ideal flying month for light aircraft (L19 Birddog and the L-20 Beaver, pilot was Captain Dow), I was afforded the opportunity to travel by truck to "The Hill". It was a very long trip, since we had to go through Samsun over some of the most scenic country in Turkey. Best I can remember SFC Frank N. Barkley (now deceased) and I was the only two on this trip other than the drivers. We arrived on the "The Hill" late in the evening hungry, cold, dusty and tired. Our first meal late at night was Spam, and many more of the same, and we had to pay for it. The cooks tried to fix Spam any way they could, fry, bake, burn and boil. We had Spam and hotdogs for several months because that was all the commisary in Ankara would sell to us at that time. "The Hill" at that time was not well prepared or organized in my initial assessment that night. I remember coming through the gate and it had one Turkish guard who was half asleep and wanted handouts. At night I could only see shadows of very few building and of course the James Ways. My first night in a James Way, I was introduced to being cold on one side and hot on the other, as we slept around the small stove in the middle of the room. We all slept soundly, but were up very early as work started just as soon as you arrived.


The next morning SFC E6 Frank N. Barkley [See TAPS entry] and I got the grand tour of Det 4 by the Commander Major William Clark, SigC and Deputy Captain Peters, SigC. "The Hill" at that time consisted of Headquarters Building (CO’s office, personnel, mailroom, classified control) and immediately adjacent was the operation building and the antenna field. As you walked toward the southeast you passed the motor pool on the right, the power generator building, radio station and dispensary. Continued on down the hill you came to the mess hall. The barbershop, shoe shine parlor and EM showers were at the base of water tank hill with steps leading up to the water purification area. South side of the hill was the officers quarters, NCO quarters and the club. At that time all the lower EM slept in the James Ways. Oh! Don’t forget the little screened in house with the pee pipe driven in the ground and a funnel so you could hit it or miss it depending on time spent at the club or the wind direction. Outhouses were 3 and 4 holes. Us southern boys were familiar to them, but our northern friends were not. As one fellow member most adequately said "sit, shit, get".


I was assigned to the personnel section. SSG James Ownby was the Personnel Sgt Bruce Branch and I was the only personnel assigned. We had 40-50 records at any given time until 1958. SP4 Ruben was the mail clerk. Ruben was Jewish so he stayed close to the office. At Christmas he worked so that all of us Christian boys could have the day off. Jim Boyte was also assigned to the Headquarters unit. SP4 Richard Riedy was the translator. Later in 1958 Harold (Willie) Mays, Kenton Shipley, Jim Gudenburr and Richards arrived to further staff the Headquarters and Personnel. We also did morning reports, worked in the motor pool, drove trucks to and from the river with water and, spent time at the club every night.


I noticed, reading other reports, not much was mention about the weather other than to say it was miserable most of the time. The wind blew almost constantly and so hard that several 3 and 4 holes bit the dust. When it rained, mud was "A Hole" deep and was like glue. In December 1957 or January 1958 it snowed.


When Jim Boyte got to the "The Hill" he found out that we did not have a chapel. Immediately, he wanted to build one, but as you can imagine us being in a Muslim country, a Christian chapel was out of the question or so everyone thought. Jim would not take no for an answer and began getting help to get the chapel authorized from the Turkish Government and the US Military. Hook or Crook, Jim got it accomplished. Work began in the summer of 1958. Nearly all of the men helped build the foundation and donated money to purchase the material and pay the Turkish Labors. I remember Jim would not tell the Turks what they were building, afraid they would stop work on the building.


In February 1958 I was having trouble with my right leg. Sgt "Doc" Stoddard had me sent to the Air Force hospital in Ankara. There, they decided I need surgery so it was performed. They stripped the veins from by lower right leg. The hospital food was great. But just so that I would not get too accustom to good food, the boys in Ankara brought me a SPAM sandwich. There was a contractor in the hospital at the same time, and I remember that his crew smuggled a bottle of wine into the room. We all had a glass. Other than having to get up every day and clean and make your own bed, it was pretty nice. But all good times must come to an end and I soon found my way back to Sinop, this time I flew.


Everyone was doing their assigned jobs and other duties as well, if you get my drift. When all of this was happening, it was during the buildup of the Lebanon crises. Construction was fast and furious. "The Hill" was about to undergo a major overhaul of building, facilities and personnel. People began arriving so fast we did not have places for them to sleep. James Ways was extremely full. Construction was begun on new barracks. The first building was named in honor of our trusty mascot dog "GIMP". The building became "Gimp Hall". Most of the support personnel moved into this building.


Not much has been said about First Sergeants on "The Hill". I remember three. The first was SFC Frank Johnson, who only lasted a short time, before he was transferred to the ASA detachment in Ankara. The next was SFC Norman. He was hell on wheels. We despised this man. He was always causing trouble with the personnel, so we thought. He was always on SSG Jim Ownby for one thing or another. No one could please him or do enough for him. SSG Ownby departed the hill and was transferred to Arlington Hall Station, Enlisted Personnel Section. SFC Norman was from the Fort Devens area and wanted to go back. SSG Ownby assigned him to Camp Walters, Texas and would have sent him to parts unknown. SFC Norman’s records were mailed all over the Pacific before they eventually got back to Camp Walters several months later. My next and last 1st Sgt. was SFC "Fat" Fred Burnett. He was a giant of a persons, wore two 55" web belts sewed together. When they flew SFC Burnette to the Hill they removed the seats and strapped him in just like cargo. Our new Commander was Major Leon F. Ladd, SigC. When these two walked around the hill it was like "Mutt and Jeff", one tall and slender and one overweight. I can still see Major Ladd with his shoulder under the 1st Sgt. tail helping him over retaining walls near "Gimp" hall.


The CO was Maj William Clark, SigC, and the XO was Captain ? Peters. Maj Leon F. Ladd, SigC, replaced Clark as the CO. 1LT Pasaroni (sp?), Operations Officer,1956-1957; CW4 S.C.Whitehead (Charlie), AGC, Asst. Adjutant, Personnel Officer – 1958-1959; Captain Dow, Pilot 1957-1959 (Ankara);


SFC Robbie Roberson, Personnel Sgt when I departed in 1958; – Standish, Michigan- 1957-1958; SP4 Bruce Branch, personnel specialist, 1957-1958; SP4 Rueben, mail clerk, 1957-1958; SGT Stoddard, Medical 1957-1958; SP4 Tom Abrials, Cook-Motor Pool – 1957-1958; SP4 Hanie (sp), Motor Pool/Driver,1957-1958; SP4 Marconni (sp) Motor Pool/driver – 1957-1958; SP4 Richard Riedy, Translator – 1957-1958; SP4 Wayne Buehler, SP4 Earl "Ghost" Norris – 1958-1959; SP5 Terrell Reach, P.O. BOX 406, West Blockton, AL 35184 1958-1959; SP4 James Gudenburr(g) (sp), Personnel – 1958-1959; SP4 Eisenhoffer (sp), Driver/Motor Pool – 1957-1958; SP5 Alvin Arden, Personnel, 1958-1959 – Lenor City, TN; SGT James Forbus, Alabama 1958-1959; SP4 Stuart Hammett 1958-1959; SP4 Kenton W. Shipley, from Stockton, CA, Personnel – 1958-1959; SP4 Harold (Willie) Mays, Personnel – 1958-1959, 108 Austin Avenue, Beckley, WV 25801, 304-253-7789; SP4 Dwight Jenkins, Philadelphia, Mississippi, Operations – 1958-1959; SP4 Henry Heck, Operations, Trout Run, PA – 1958-1959; SP Magdish (sp) 1958-1959; SP Brock, 1958-1959; SP Breem, 1958-1959; SP Boyle, 1958-1959; SFC Van Pelt, 1957-1958; SP Norden, 1958-1959; SP King, 1958-1959; SP Smith, 1958-1959; SP Richards, 1958-1959; PFC Thomas, 1958-1959; SSG Jack Dunlap, Generator/Power/Motor Pool – 1958-1959.

Betty and I have made our reservation at Seven Springs and look forward to seeing old and new friends.

CLAPP, Jerry L., DOB: 1934, US52459516, E3, 271.10 Det 4, JL58-DE58, (Barbara), 15 Cabezon Rd., Placitas NM 87403 505-867-2811, Contacted on 8 June 2003. Was drafted while living in Kent, Ohio and after basic attended Radio Repair (271) School at Ft. Monmouth, NJ. Then sent to Ft Devens before assignment to Det 4. Flew to Sinop in the mail plane with 2-3 others. The pilot had to buzz the pasture to scare the water buffalo off the landing strip. After about 6 months was transferred to Bad Aibling, Germany. Left Sinop in a 2 1/2 ton for the memorable ride to Ankara. His computer is in the process of being up-dated and will be back on line in a few weeks and will get back to me with additional details about his short stint at Det 4.

CORRIVEAU, Rick E5 98C Det 27 MY65-AP67, (Leslie), 114 Singer Rd., New Freedom, PA 17349, 717-227-2728, - Greetings! Please note my new address and E-mail

DILL, Jerry L., DOB: 1928, RA17149652, E6, 982, Det 4, AP58-AP59, MR63-MR64, (Betty), 205 Chamberlin Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80906, 719-576-6243,, - First off, I consider that it was a definite honor and privilege to know and work with all the guys and gals of ASA and NSA. Outstanding people doing truly outstanding work. The duty stations with possible exception of Zama were all wonderful in their own individual ways. I enjoy reading the DOOL's and the BIO's of the different guys and times. I am a native of West Point, Nebraska and enlisted in the Army Security Agency at Ft Crook in September 1945. Ft Crook is now Offut Air Force Base near Omaha, Nebraska. After basic was sent to Vint Hill Farms for Ditty-Bop training.


Lt. Harold Matson and I went to Monterey for the 12-month Russian language course. We were the very first class (all ten of us) as all that was taught up to that time was Japanese. We were the very first "Monterey Mary's" in the ASA. Also in that class was Boleslaw Filipczyk and John Pizurki who laer joined the ranks of ASA. It was then Military Intrel Service Language School (MISLS), then Army Language School (ALS), and later became DLI. I made the graduation speech in Russian in October 1947. Then to AHS for work in 'B' Bldg.


I re-upped in December 1947 so I could get some overseas duty. In April 1948 Bill Wheeler, George Sentgerath, a couple others and I were assigned to ASA Pacific Headquarters at Oji Camp. Still fairly small at that time. Col Greiner was CO, Capt Enright the Company Cdr and Ist Sgt Moshure were there. Went to work in ops as a 982/965. Was working for Bill Nechanicky when I transferred to 8612 AAU at Chitose in June 1950 just a few days before the Korean War broke out. I and John Brown were the entire 988 section! In Decenber - 4 more guys, Art Johnson, Terry Myers, Owen Yates and Bill Hummel. joined us so we were able to have 7/24 coverage. In July 1951 it was back to Oji in Tokyo and then in October to the 326th Communication Reconnaissance Company in Uijongbu, Korea. The 326th was originally the 126th Signal Service Company that had moved from Camp Momoyama in Japan to Korea and was renamed the 326th. To read more about the 126th and 326th COMM RECON Companies go to and type in the numbers for interesting reading and photo's of ASA in action during the Korean War.

In April 1952 it was back to AHS and 'B' Bldg. Bill Wheeler and I made Warrant in October 1952. Had a 3-month site-survey TDY jaunt to Germany in 1953. Married in 1954, and was in the first contingent of NSA to move to Ft Meade in January 1955. Back to Hqs USASA Pacific at Oji Camp in September 1955 till I returned in November 1957 and got out of the Army. After spending two weeks of civilian life in West Virginia - re-upped as a E5 Sergeant. Went to Meade and in 1958 did my first tour in Sinop. I worked with CWO Tom Hackney, CWO George Sentegrath as a 982/981/965. and advanced to E7 and retired on 30 April 1966 with 20 years, 9 months and 14 days of active duty. Retired as a CW3 as it was the highest rank that he held. I 'loved' my two tours at Sinop - Nice and quiet - the mission was very interesting.

I remember my first assignment to Sinop and GIMP quite well. I lived in what was commonly referred to as skid row where the NCO's were housed in 10 Jamesway Huts built in a semi-circle. My tentmates were Joe Sprague and Steve Gallagher. Charlie Riggleman was also there. Many others whom I just vaguely recall. Then there was 'GI Joe" and Ufuq who worked at the NCO Club. Nazbi the Barber and Nato the tailor downtown. There was a favorite little cafe downtown "Ali's" where we used to hang out. GI Joe and his dad also had a small souvenir shop downtown. Made it down to Ankara a couple times when my partial accidently broke and had to see the Dentist. The Imperial Hotel, Ankara Tsirkus, Otel Berlin, the Yeni Bar and many other places of interest. I remember the building of the Det 4 chapel during the 1958 tour.


I vividly remember the 1958 XMAS party where a bunch of us NCO's (Mess Sergeant Avery Crombe; Joe Sprague; Charlie Crosswhite) pushed and pulled a cow into the BOQ. It took several cases of beer and chasing the darn cow all afternoon till we could catch it and then to our amazement it plopped a load once inside the BOQ. Can't remember the outcome of that fiasco!

Then back to Meade and 1960 to Zama. Didn't like that one darn bit. 1961 found me at Devens as a 982 instructor and on to Sinop in April 1963. What a change! Permanent ops bldgs, barracks, clubs and heck, everything had changed. For the better. Still 982 in ops. The CO in 1963 was Lt Col Lepke; the XO was Major Norm Jorgenson and the Sergeant Major was Biff Charron.

Back to Devens in June 1964. In June 1965 a chance for a 9-month advanced RU course at DLI so I grabbed it. Put in six months and applied for retirement which happened 30 April 1966. The last 4 months I was in, I tended bar downtown. Divorced that year also. She and 2 boys went back to West Virginia and I to Nebraska. Met Betty there and we moved to Colorado Springs in 1972. Best thing we could ever do. This is really wonderful here in every way. In 1975 I was diagnosed with MS and have been in a wheelchair ever since and Betty has always provided TLC . I immediately applied for Social Security and VA benefits. Got SSDI with a years back pay after three months, but VA took until April 1976. Thru the military medical records, they traced the MS back to early 1958 when the first onslaught occured so they awarded me a 100% service-connected disability rating. I waived my W3 retirement pay to collect non-taxable VA compensation which is almost 4 times as much as the W3 pay! .No complaints and all in all, we are just as happy and content as could be. 4 kids, 10 grandchildren, and 4 G-grandchildren. All are doing fine and all healthy. We are happy. Now, Elder, I know this is long and undoubtedly quite boring but I got carried away. Edit as you wish. I'll keep in touch.

EBELING, Emerald Roger, E3-E4, RA17420843, Det 4, 2MY56-57, 29995 Glader Blvd., Lindstrom, MN 651-257-5436, Friends of Bob Ludvik and Jim Neubauer. Hope to hear from Roger in the near future.

GARNER, Bill, E7, 059, Det 4, 68-69, (Sylvia), 609 S. Main St., Red Springs, NC 28377, 910-843-3553, Bill served at Menwith Hill Station from Oct 60 to May 65. He arrived at the station as a 058, but was quickly persuaded to cross-train into the 059 job (seems that he was not going to get promoted as an 058). Most of his time was spent on Trick Two, under the guidance of Bob Ware, but before he left the station he had worked on all four tricks and been Squad Leader and Team Chief with virtually every team in his MOS. His wife and daughter (Sylvia and Cheryl) joined him at Harrogate in Feb 62, and before they left, the family had been expanded to include John and David. After the tour at Harrogate, he served tours in VHFS; Sinop, Turkey; Ft. Meade; Cheltenham, England; Ft. McPherson, GA; Augsburg, Germany; Ft. Stewart, GA; and Ludwigsburg, Germany. Bill retired from his last unit, 207th MI Brigade, effective 31 December 1987, and he attended the deactivation ceremony for that unit in Jan 92. Military Awards include the Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal (3 awards) and the Joint Services Commendation Medal. During the years with the Army, Bill actively sought educational opportunities, and went to virtually every enlisted leadership school available, with graduation from the Sergeants Major Academy in February 1976. After completing over 90 semester hours of college education as an off-duty student, he was allowed a year of full-time schooling, and completed a BS in Political Science in 1975. Following his retirement, Bill spent the next two years completing an MBA, and then went to work for Defense Investigative Service where he is currently employed. Bill and Sylvia now have two granddaughters and one grandson. Over the years Bill became involved in Volksmarching and jogging. His jogging got serious enough that he has completed several marathons (last one in 1988), and once did the JFK Memorial Run (50.2 miles). He is still into volksmarching, but the jogging is now limited to 10-km or less. He also enjoys playing with his computer, and he and Homer Wiltshire were the ones who initiated the activities which led to the Association.

GROBE, Jim, DOB: 1940, RA18576330, E3-E5, Spec Svcs, Det 27, 61-62, (Peggy Sue), 155 Cherry St., P.O.Box 951, Tuscumbia, Alabama 35674, 256-381-5351, [edited] Roommate of Steve Stephens & Zip Hargus at Manzarali. Jim wrote: " Where the heck has Zip Hargus & Steve Stephens been for the last 40 years? - we got a lot to talk about. Gee whiz, Turkey seems like a million years ago - maybe it was. And STEVE, last I heard of you - sometime back in the late 70's I think - you were married to a girl-cop. From that point on it all gets fuzzy. Damn its good to find you guys! The times we shared can never be equalled. Zip Hargus account of our round trip to Athens was interesting. I don't remember half the stuff that he does. On our way back from Athens, in that old 1950 Dodge, we got stopped in Alexandria by the cops and made to go to the "Sheriff's" brother-in-law and have him install blinking turn signals on the car. All the other stuff is a blurred...Peg and I were married in September 1988, nearly 15 years. We met 20 years ago in Houston while I was running Chrestmark Corporate Communication Company. No kids, no grandkids, but some great little (grand) nieces and nephews. As to my 'bio'? Not much to tell so I'll make it short; Got out of the Army went into showbiz for two years (nite club comic). Didn't like the insecurity nor the nomadic lifestyle so went into the advertising business in New York City. My advertising career took me from NYC to Houston to San Francisco back to Houston to Corpus Christi, Texas to Los Angeles. Got married (first time to June) in 1965 - Steve Stephens was my best man! The marriage lasted eight and a half years. I remained single until I married Peggy in September 1988. My health went bad (over stressed) in the mid 80's so I got out of advertising and into childcare work here in Alabama where we live in the beautiful Tennessee Valley of NW Alabama. I simi-retired last year, but still do a little advertising work on the side, writing sales pamphlets, newspaper ads and radio spots for a few clients. I also dabble in real estate. With Fond Memories, Jimmy & Peggy Sue Grobe, "L' Heure Passe, L' Amite Reste"
(time passes, friendship remains)

HARGUS, Julian D., (Zip), DOB: 1940, RA17577760, E3-E4, 711 & 059, Det 27 DE60-SE62, (Linda), 400 Acorn Dr., Jefferson City, MO 65109, 573-893-4267, [edited]


Everyone wants to know how I got the nickname ZIP. Well, Zip was a childhood nickname that stuck with me through college. I got rid of it in the ASA, but when I went back to Southwest Missouri State University to work on my Masters - I ran into an old friend who called me Zip and everyone cracked up and it stuck. My family and old friends still call me that. "JULIAN is a rare name, just like ELDER." Julian was my grandmother's (mothers side) maiden name. Saint Julien was the French Patron Saint of Winemakers, ergo, I am not a wino but am just maintaining my family tradition, as Bocephus would say. Will try and kickstart my brain for memoirs of my Tour of Duty at Det 27. When I got to the ASA base 23 miles from Ankara in December 1960 they assigned me to Hqs Company with duty as the clerk for Lt Col Dempster E. Epperson who was the Commander of Det 27 at that time. My roommates were Steve Stephens and Jim Grobe. We also rented a apartment in Ankara for about 6 months – just to "get away" to a bachelor pad. Probably ended up being more trouble and expense than it was worth. Major Forrest Clark was the XO, Major Phillip T. Hutcheson was Adjutant, Major Humphries was the Ops Officer and Major Lyle J. Garrity took over as Adjutant. I bought a 30-06 Springfield rifle from Maj Garitty and used it to shoot 2 wild boar. I sold it back to him when I rotated to the states.

Colonel Van Oosten

I believe that Col Van Oosten was the Det 83 Commander and as such was the senior ASA Officer in Turkey when I got to Turkey in December 1960. He was one of the Bataan Death March Survivors and was concerned about the boot care and condition of everyone assigned to Det 27. Sometime in 1961 he became the Commander of Det 27 and Det 83 was either reorganized or deactivated, but am almost certain that Maj Hutcheson later served at Det 83. I remember the "hate campaign" in the fall of 1961. The low point was when Col. Van Oosten ordered everyone to wear their uniforms to the holiday dinner in the Mess Hall. Very few EM chose to do so. Most of us went to town or ate in the NCO club – in civvies. Actually, I had mixed emotions showing the Turks that we were less than patriotic that day. It wasn’t about being ashamed of our uniforms. It was resentment that boiled over when we had to "stand to it" on our holiday. Seems silly now, but that’s how I remember it.

SMaj Nash and MSgt Gentry were on Epperson's staff. Teddy Hunter was the Motor Pool Sergeant. SFC Christianson (sp?) was the NCO Club Manager. Capt Mark L Diggory was the Hq Company CO, Capt-Major Underwood was OIC-Finance, JD Ferguson was the mail clerk, Tuggle-Finance, Bailey-Medic, Bradley-Hqs,James Aubry-cable splicer, LJ Smith-S1 clerk, Jim Grobe-Special Services, the Oneal (Oneill) twins-Hqs, and I need help on the name of the S4 clerk. He designed the Manzarali Mauler logo and drew it on the mimeograph sheets (I typed the paper which was approved by PT Hutcheson each time). Major Hutcheson went back to ASA Hqs as the Enlisted Personnel Assignment.


I remember a leave in July 1961. Went to Athens, Greece with Steve Stephens and Jim Grobe. Had a great time! I bought an old black Dodge in Athens from a USAF GI. He wanted $200. for it, but when he found out I was taking it to TURKEY, he doubled the price. Tried to barter with him - no such luck. We drove it back through Istanbul and returned to Ankara. Sold it legally to a Ankara taxi cab driver for a small fortune of19,000 lira.


The only Turkish gesture that I remember was the left hand on the top of the back of the right hand and snapping it down on your forearm meaning f*** you. There was also a "tooth sucking" click that was a profane "no" if I recall it right. The Turkish Puzzle rings. You weren't an old timer until you could assemble it one handed. Also, how many guys remember "flipping" headset cords and tying knots in it, or "burn bag" planes, or backward chair races? It did get boring sometimes, huh?

I came back to Ft Bragg and met the perfect woman (been married 40 years) had two boys (one is a computer specialist III for the state and the other is a fraud unit tech in the State Unemployment Insurarnce Section. We have one granddaughter, 16 years old, honor student (yeah, I know,brag, brag) and a 3 year old grandson. Luckily, both live close.


I re-upped for 3 years, went to Fort Devens for 982 Traffic Analysis schooling and from there went to Two Rock Ranch Station, Petaluma, California. We became friends with Lou Brunner and his wife Joyce at TRR. Knew Lou at Manzarali but got to be best friends at Two Rock Ranch. Know Jerry Eby (Det 4); Mike Cover (Det 27); and David Vandiver (Det 27). I told them to contact me if they wanted to "jump in" and I will turn them over to you when/if they email me. I was fortunate enough to get assigned to Special Ops and sent to NSA for a year. It was exciting for me but dull for Linda because I couldn't call her once I got inside the NSA building. Anyway, back to my BIO. I got out of the service and went to work for Firemans Fund Insurance Company in San Francisco as an auditor for a few years but my wife and I decided to go to Missouri for a more sane environment to raise the boys. I worked for the state for 30+ years (developing programs dealing with social programs i.e. welfare, Job Corps, tax credit programs, school inititives, etc). I did go back to SMSU, BS in Psychology/Sociology and worked on my Masters in Guidance Couseling. Linda is an accomplished artist and opened a craft shop in Jefferson City. When I retired, she closed it and we are enjoying the good life.


I have become very involved in the Pro America rally movement and spend every Saturday morning in Columbia, MO countering the "peaceniks" protests. Also very active on a conservative web site -(100,000 registered). So I keep busy. I found Steve Stephens on one of these locator sites a couple of years ago and we keep in touch and are both "relayers" of Elder's DOOL's. Steve and I tried our damnest to find our old roommate - Jim Grobe but didn't do any good.

I worked for the MO State Gov’t, Dept of Labor and specialized in welfare and child protection programs for 31 years. I’m now retired.


I love to listen to the Ballad of ASA and want to make sure others hear it. Go to and click on the ballad icon. It is great.

- 40 years? DAMN, times flies when you're having fun. First, Elder RC Green has done a fantastic job pulling ASA Turkey vets together. Every ex-ASA Turkey vet should give him a shout WITH YOUR BIO. I appreciate the heck out of the stories.

LUDVIK, Robt A., (Bob), DOB: 1934, NG/RA27947889, PFC-CPL, 058 Tk Chief, Det 4, AP56-DE56, (Shirley), 122 N Black Eagle Dr., Mankato, MN 56001, 507-388-4801, has e-mail, but don't know diddly about it. Bob called on 6 June 2003 for info on the 2003 reunion. We talked for over an hour about his 9 months Tour of Duty at Sinop. Enlisted for ASA duty and successfully completed the ditty-bop school at Ft. Devens. Was sent to Giessen, Germany for 2-3 months, then transferred to Kassel for 1.5 years. While at Kassel he was the PFCIC of the EM Club. Said that he got the manager job as he grew up around taverns and knew the in/outs of running a club. As the manager he had a room above the club - got extra pay for being the manager and was prepared to serve out his hitch as the Club manager. Then out of nowhere came the orders to go to Sinop. He enjoyed Sinop and has many fond memories. Did not live in the Hotel in Sinop, but was among the first to move into the Jamesway huts on the 'hill'. Was promoted to Corporal and served as a 058 Trick Chief. Said that the 058's worked out of trailers that had been initially mounted on the back of GMC 2 1/2 ton trucks. Said that there were 3 vehicles on the 'hill' and that 2 of them had a head on collision at night somewhere on the hill. Remembers Lt Rose and thinks that Howard W. Demerest was the First Sergeant and that a Ralph Wilson was the Mess Sergeant. Wilson, as he remembers, was a BIG GUY with about 30 years in the Army and was a excessive drinker who was busted to PFC at Sinop. Remember Cpl Isom who was also a 058 Trick Chief from Alabama who later went to work for the FBI. Not sure but either Sgt Burbeck or Sgt Jimmy Green might have been the 058 NCOIC. Other 058's that he remembers are Roger Ebeling and Dan Sheggeby (sp?) both from Minnesota and a Frog Durocher from Maine. Believes that the Russian linguist was Bill McRitchey. Once took a 7 day leave to Istanbul by boat and stayed at the new Conrad Hilton Hotel. Said that he, Cpl Isom and 2 others were scheduled to fly out of Sinop for their homeward trek but that the plane was delayed 3 times - so they found a cab and rode to Ankara

MAYS, Harold (Willie) DOB: 1935 RA24424026 E3-E4 711 Pers Det 4, MR58-MR59, (Betty), 108 Austin Ave., Beckley, WV 25801, 304-253-7789, no email - Ernie Carrick gave me Harold Mays name and address. Harold was given the nickname 'Willy' by his co-workers in Personnel at Det 4. Very responsive. Enlisted at Beckley, West Virginia for duty with the ASA. Took basic at Ft Jackson and then was trained at Devens as a Clerk Typist and then got orders for duty at Det 4 in Sinop. The trip to and from Sinop was via the 2 1/2 ton GMC's. Remembers the icky pachuk rides as being dusty, long and boring. The only stops were at the water points where water was added to the radiators. Once he and several others took a 5 day break to Ankara via the GMC's. On the return trip, the GMC's had to turn back as the moutain road was snowed in!! The Sinop bound GI's, including Mays, were taken to Izmir and loaded onto a cattle ship for a 2 day sail on the Black Sea to Sinop. Said that the duty at Sinop wasn't bad. His best friend at Det 4 was Kenton W. Shipley who also worked in Personnel. He lost contact with Shipley, but once remembers seeing the credits for a movie that was on TV and Kenton W. Shipley was listed. He remembers the quartet that were known as "The Denaros" They were a Det 4 quartet that was organized by Ron Denaro and spent most of their time touring Europe in talent shows. In addition to the names that Ernie Carrick mentions in his BIO he remembers a boy-hood friend from Beckley, West Virginia named Clyde Sutphin that also served at Sinop. After Det 4 he was sent to Vint Hill Farms where he was discharged 17 March 1960. Went to work for his father-in-law in April 1960 and retired in August 2001. Hopes to join Ernie Carrick at the 7 Springs reunion.

Hello! I am Mike Mays, the son of Harold "Willie" Mays and I am e-mailing you because my father does not have internet access. Please e-mail me updates on the reunion as I anticipate on making sure they attend. Thanks!! Mike Mays,

NEUBAUER, Jim, DOB: 1935 E4 058 Det 4, 1MY56-AP57, (Donna), 11341 Johnson Ave., S. Minneapolis, MN 55437, 952-881-4645, no email. Contacted on 15 June 2003. Plans on contacting Roger Ebeling and Bob Ludvik about attending the 2003 ASA Turkey reunion.

REACH, Terrell, DOB: 1924, RA34800022, E5, Supply, Det 4, 58-59 & E6 Supply Det 4-1, DE68-OC69, (Mildred), PO Box 406 West Blockton, AL 35184, 205-938-7639, no email. Contacted on 9 June 2003. - Joined the Army in March 1943 at Centerville, Alabama and retired in September 1971 as a E6. He and Mildred were married in 1946! Was recruited into the ASA in the Supply field in 1957 and was assigned to Sinop in 1958 and worked in Supply. Was friends with Ernie Carrick. In December 1968 he got concurrent travel to Istanbul for duty in Supply at 4-1 under Captain Richard Hahn. They lived on the Istanbul economy. Mildred left early to attend to family matters and Terrell spent only 11 months of the 24 month stint. Has owned a Pest Control business for years and still at age 78 is still operating the business.

SCHWARTZ, Fred, Det 4, NO59-DE60, (Rose), 321 Fain St., Morganton, GA 30560, 706-374-4302, or - Just a note to say that I received the Det 4 patch today. I am very impressed with the design and look of the patch. Looking forward to the Reunion and seeing all those that were stationed there between Nov.59 to Dec. 60. After 43 years I am sure that I won't recognize a single guy, but seeing and talking over old times will bring back many memories. I am also sure that by bringing the pictures that I have they should also jog a memory or two. The name tags for us are Fred & Rose. Not sure if you really needed that info but am including it just the same.

STEPHENS, Howard C., (Steve), E4, 711, Det 27, DE60-SE62, (Judy-since 23 April 1966), 3149 Tamarron Dr., Rochester Hills, MI 48309, 248-375-0081,

Children: (1). Janet Stephens Marchelletta , graduated Michigan State Univ (MSU) 1988, MSU school of management 1992. (2). Christine Stephens Files, graduated MSU 1991 and Detroit College of Law 1994. (3). Howard Stephens, III, graduated MSU 1992, Oakland University 1997. I have found grandchildren to me the real jewels/rewards of "later life". Without them, these years would be empty and the passing of a lifetime left far less meaningful. One of my favorite quotes is to the effect: "Our grandchildren are the messengers of our future ... and the reminders of our own mortality.

Hope this qualifies as an honest effort for my BIO

I really enjoy all the messages, photos and memories. I always look forward to the weekly DAYS OF OUR LIVES newsletter, and to "sharing" the experiences and current activities. Always a treat to hear how some of our old pals turned out. For most of us, it was a time of learning and growing up - fast! I will always feel fortunate to have been "invited" to join the ranks of the Army Security Agency. I met some truly outstanding men and learned much from many of the very best. Most interesting are the scraps of information about what we did while we were there, and what eventually became of Site 23 … which brings me to another perspective. My own view after all these years is that U.S. influence in Turkey was based solely on "dollar diplomacy". I saw a lot of waste, greed and corruption in the Turkey in the early 1960’s. I certainly thought that a lot of U.S. "aid" (a.k.a. dollars) was squandered on government "feel good" projects (like building Attaturks’ Tomb), rather than actually "aiding" the poor people of that country who were poor when I arrived and just as poor when I left. I felt that the Turkish government of the 1960’s, were not like comrades-in-arms, united in a mutually beneficial action against the "red menace". It was more simply about the U.S. paying exorbitantly for small pieces of totally undeveloped land, only to gain a small, short-term intelligence advantage – before turning over the developed asset to our Turkish allies. Little has changed about those relationships, in all the third-world countries. I doubt it ever will. The way you have put everything together, using today's "state of the art", reinforces my conviction that we had some of the best and brightest at Manzarelli, even if it was a life time ago! As with most of our old comrades, we lost contact with each other and even an awareness of what ever became of the ASA. I appreciate hearing about all that transpired, once I left after my tour. I was born 23 October 1940 in Detroit, MI. Attended the public school system and entered Eastern High School in 1954, just as the landmark Brown vs. Board of Education school desegregation case was ordered. Our high school was already integrated so we kind of didn’t "get it". Guess we were just naïve concerning the basis or need for the court order. Took Army ROTC courses for 4 years. Graduated in January 1959 Attended Wayne State University, Detroit for a while, but got bored with Liberal Arts studies and figured I was "draft bait". My best buddy was joining in July 1960 so I signed up with him on the Army "buddy plan" and took Basic Training at Ft Riley, KS with the 1st Infantry Division, July 60 – September 60. My memories of Basic was that it was hot and dirty but the barracks were new and spanking clean. I didn’t think it was too rough and we all ended up in great physical shape. Some of the combat aspects of training seemed a little over done, but that’s because we weren’t headed for combat during that peaceful summer – at least we didn’t think so. Was trained at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. In MOS 711Clerk. I selected that MOS thinking I would get an assignment in the 5th Army area, hopeful HQ in Chicago. ASA recruited at or near the top of the graduating class (was never sure of exact selection criteria), but that’s how Don Broaddus, Zip Hargus and I were given the opportunity to accept an ASA assignment. Seemed like a unique opportunity although I knew nothing about the ASA or where we would be assigned.Roy Des Ruisseaux's "memories" are amazingly accurate! Our tours were extended, due to the Berlin Crisis, before we finally rotated back to the states for re-assignment in September 1962. Although I am a little fuzzy on the exact dates and sequence of some of the events, I wanted to try to parallel the stories Roy has already "posted".


Zip Hargus and I came "in country" through the hospitality of the 21st Repo Depot in Frankfurt, Germany in December 1960. The affect of post WWII Germany were still evident, but I liked the country and the people. Zip and I kind of got misplaced for a couple of days during the 1960 Christmas Holiday while we explored the local hospitality. All turned-out well and we arrived in Turkey just before New Years day. Reality hit shortly thereafter when we were enroute from the airport to Site 23, it was late at night on a very cold winter evening. We were half asleep in the back of a deuce-and-a-half way out in the boonies. The truck was stopped by a road block, perhaps an hour from Site 23. We were ordered out and onto the frozen road. While waiting for the truck to be "inspected", I recall there was gunfire as someone from a vehicle ahead of us had taken off running. Quite an introduction to our new assignment ..... hmmmm.


Zip Hargus and I did get lots of good natured "yini" harassment before making pals with our new roommate, Jim Grobe who worked in Special Services, but settled into our new assignments quickly. I was assigned to the PMO, and reported to Sgt. Rowan. Although only a clerk, I tried to maintain my uniform at the level of my pals in the MP shack (tailored shirts, etc.) I knew Driscoll and O’Leary fairly well and every one of the MP's Roy DesRuisseaux mentioned in his "memoirs" . Rented an apartment in Ankara with Zip and Jim Grobe for about 6 months – just to "get away" to a bachelor pad. Probably ended up being more trouble and expense than it was worth.


I was promoted to PFC in 1961 – kind of automatic schedule. My promotion to SP4 was almost on schedule. It was delayed a couple of months by a Sgt Billie Clark who was on the promotion board. It is my guess that Sgt Clark was kind of piddly about the minor alterations to my uniform. While I was in the PM office in that assignment, I got to know a guy who was in the stockade awaiting court martial. His name was Jim Watson. I recall he was charged for stealing from the PX - and I think other guys lockers! I testified as a character witness but it did little good. He was sent to a stockade in Germany, where I heard he stole some more. He ended up in Ft Leavenworth.


I was eventually joined in the PMO assignment by Bruce "Bopper" Philips. There really wasn't room for two clerks on the TOE so I was transferred to Hqs as a clerk, where I remained for the duration.


I do recall the incident where a Turk soldier was accidentally shot and killed by another Turk soldier at the front gate to Det 4 and the near riots it caused up there. I also recall the L-19 single engine plane finally bringing the GI that was accused by the Turks down to Site 23. Roy DesRuisseaux is right, the entrance road to Det 27 was designed as a make shift landing strip, weather and visibility permitting.


I recall Larkin and the short lived "sign". I thought it must be "counter intelligence" as what idiot would put a public sign up displaying the identity and military branch "ownership" of the "secret" facility. Gee, you've got to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out. I guess the truck beat us to it and removed it poste haste!


I wasn't on the site road that day, but do recall hearing about the "near miss".


I remember seeing the movie. I also remember the 1LT from Special Services begging for some repayment (with little success). He was terribly agitated and embarrassed. I suspected he got his tail chewed off by his commanding officer.


We all had experiences with the "locals". I remember the village but don't recall it was all that friendly. Probably because we had some stones thrown at us when we were "touring" their area one sunny afternoon. I also remember the "cowboy" that bought that horse. However, I don't remember ever really seeing the horse.


William Eugene Cox was definitely a trouble maker 1st class. And everyone had the same opinion of him. A bad character, even on a good day. I think he had an OPS MOS. I think he was transferred to HQ from OPS, but don't really remember why. Cox ended up bunking in the same room with Zip Hargus and I in HQ’s Co before he got into more trouble running a crooked gambling game in the HQ barracks. He was running a lot of crooked things in his spare time, including some after hours gambling operations. He was in hot water - all of the time! I believe he befriended Brisindine, who was having problems "back home". After the girl was attacked in Ankara, I was part of a post-wide search party looking for those fools. I figured that Cox must have suckered Brisindine into some nonsense about breaking free and heading back to the States. I think he was motivated by an investigation that was probably leading to a court martial. It would explain why he was anxious to "escape" from Turkey after that. I never got the part about assaulting the Turkish female. I heard in later years that Cox ended up in a civilian prison where he eventually hung himself. The story about Cox taking his own life makes sense and it sure does tie up loose ends with a certain logic.


I remember Ken Baldwin very well. All the stuff about black market and eventual "banishment" was true. I also remember the bring-a-car in and sell it scam. Zip and I did that legally, just once in the summer of 1961. When we tried to expand on the popular idea of "buying" new GI's powers of attorney, we got bogged down and I seem to recall, a stern talking to. I still don't think we would have broken the letter of the law - but on the intent of the law, I am not so sure. We just dropped it as an issue. Not surprised that Ken Baldwin seems to have gravitated back to Turkey, with varying degrees of success, both personally and professionally. His life and times could probably serve as a mini-script for a made-for-tv-movie.


In August 1962, I was pulled from my assignment for some debrief time. I was idle and available so got the "honors' of being assigned as a chauffeur driver in a motor pool of USAF and ASA vehicles, that were at the disposal of (then) VP Lyndon Johnson, who was on a good will tour with Air Force One and a ton of press people. There were a few well oiled nights which I would like to discuss, hopefully at one of the reunions. Especially the "birthday party" the embassy people threw in LBJ's honor. He out-drank and out swore everybody that night. The next morning I was in a lot of pain. It's a funny story. A few days after LBJ and his family left Ankara, Zip and I left on a PAN AM flight. We laid over in Rome and I saw the VP's plane waiting on another runway at the airport. I wonder if Roy DesRuisseaux recalls that particular flight? If he does, we were the "other guys" he mentions that flew back on the same plane to NY that day. Like so many others, I still have a very good long-term memory. Many of the memories are of good times and great pals at Site 23. We were all so young, in great shape (mentally and physically). I didn’t participate in any sports at Manzarali, but did ref a few of those rough and tough flag football games. As the cliché goes: "They were the best of times .....", etc. In perspective, I can honestly say that neither the site nor the troopers were perfect - but they were so far ahead of what ever is in second place, that I still bear a fair amount of pride and patriotism for having been selected by the ASA to have served there as a cold war warrior. Some memories that I still recall

We had all been extended overseas because of the Berlin Crisis in the spring of 1961. As we approached Thanksgiving, there were a lot of morale problems due to doubling up in the barracks, and general overcrowding. The troop replacement logistics were in absolute chaos because of the assignment "freeze" overseas.

I remember the "hate campaign" in the fall of 1961. The low point was when the Post Commander Col. Van Oosten, ordered everyone to wear their uniforms to the holiday dinner in the Mess Hall. Very few EM chose to do so. Most of us went to town or ate in the NCO club – in civvies. Actually, I had mixed emotions showing the Turks that we were less than patriotic that day. It wasn’t about being ashamed of our uniforms. It was resentment that boiled over when we had to "stand to it" on our holiday. Seems silly now, but that’s how I remember it.

I remember some fools got drunk and broke some of the trees along the walk beside the parade grounds (a.k.a. the football field). I hear about a short list of suspects nearly 40 years later.

I remember a couple of steam baths in Ankara. The masseuse walked on my back and twisted my arms. I jerked him over my head and he came crashing down on the tile floor. Guess it’s an "acquired taste" and I never really acquired it!

I remember a leave in July 1961. Went to Athens, Greece with Zip Hargus and Jim Grobe. Zip bought an old black Dodge and we drove it back through Istanbul and returned to Ankara. He sold it to a Ankara dolmus driver for a small fortune.

Yup, I remember visiting the Kari-Hani. It was a turn-off and seemed somewhat brutal as we understood the pavement hostesses were "sentenced" (fined) to work there. The nightspots were over rated and over priced – but something to do on occasion. Just avoided the bar girls and "bowling’.

My DD 214 lists the usual stuff. Nothing glorious.

Hobbies are light exercise, home photography and my PC.

After discharge in July 1963, returned to Wayne State University. Menial jobs while attending school.

Opportunity to work for local bank in December 1961 in computer operations on afternoon shift. Ended up working many hours of OT – the bucks were great for a change.

Opportunity to work for Detroit Board of Education in computer operations January 1966 through June 1968. Transferred to programming in June 1968 through June 1971. Worked through the riots in Detroit. Didn’t enjoy seeing my old pals from the 101st patrolling Woodwind avenue (main street) in front of our office building.

Opportunity to work for Macomb County IS department 6/71 through 11/76 as a systems analyst.

Opportunity to work for GM as an IS manager 11/76 through 1/85.

GM bought EDS in 1/85 and 6,000 of us were transferred into this subsidiary in 1/85. remained in different assignments on the GM account through 1993. Eagerly took an early retirement package.

Worked for St Johns Health Care system in IS 1994 – 1999.

Working for Mt Clemens General Hospital in IS, 2000 to present.

I returned to the U.S. in September 1962 and was station with the 313th ASA Bn at Ft. Campbell, KY, until my discharge in July 1963. I returned to my native Michigan, where I have remained all these years. I married in April 1966 and had 3 beautiful children - which now include 6 grandchildren. We live in Rochester Hills, just north of Detroit. Many of us owe you big time Elder RC Green. There is a huge debt of gratitude due for pulling together so many guys, memories and connections - from a past we all thought was lost and gone forever. Life is just plain too short to ever forget any of it! Thanks for making it real again.

STUCKERT, F.W. (Bill), DOB 1933, 2LT-1LT, SigC, T/A OIC, MY56-57, (Janis), 2429 E. 22nd Pl., Tulsa, OK 74114, 918-742-2325, I contacted Bill Stuckert on 11 June 2003 and he was able to fill in a lot of the missing data for the EARLY BIRDS at Sinop. Bill is retired and raises beef cattle on his 150 acre ranch in Oklahoma. His report will be included in DOOL #121.

SWAFFORD, Reggie (Charlie), DOB: 1943, E3-E5, 93J, Det 4, AU64-DE65, (Brenda), 6083 Georgetown Rd., NW, Cleveland, TN 37312, 423-479-5873, Jim Wylie and John Zimmerman gave me Charlie's address. Called and talked briefly on 13 June 2003. Gave him the web site for him to view the past DOOL's and then send me his BIO.

TAVERNETTI, David E 61y O1-O2 Watch Officer TK#4 Det 27, MR62-SE63, (Suzanne-Sue), 238 Rio Vista Dr., King City, CA 93930, 831-385-4458, - Sue and I are flying back a few days early and will stay in West Virginia - arriving at the 7 Springs Resort on Thursday evening. If you want any help - let me know. Looking forward to the get together.

TAYLOR, Daniel H Jr DOB: 1935 RA12444896 E6 Det 4, 61-62 & WO2214037 CW3, 70, (Janet), 110 Walker Rd., Shirley, MA 01464, 978-425-2272, [edited] - I talked to the widow of Col Lewis who lives in Ayer, MA., today and asked her to contact you about the photo album that she brought to the 2001 reunion at Ft Devens... Hopefully you will be receiving a note soon. They have your email address

WYLIE, Jim (Sick Call), DOB: 1941, RA13774855, E3-E5, 993 Det 4, 64-65, (Sharon), 322 Crossfire Ln., Ligonier, PA 15658, 724-238-6457, no email. Jim Wylie lives on a 25 acre farm near the Darlington, PA VFD. The house was built in 1821 and is in excellent shape. Jim called and Patty and I had a very enjoyable visit with Jim and John Zimmerman. We were amazed at his memory and the enthusiasm he displayed in recalling the Sinop stories. I started to take notes, but the stories were coming so fast, I decided to just sit back, relax and enjoy. He showed us many items that he had made in Sinop and said that he would bring them to the reunion at 7 Springs. One was a puzzle box that looked like a jewelry box. We tried to open it, but couldn't until he showed us the secret way to gain entrance. Another noteworthy souvenir was a hunting knife that he had a Turk in Sinop make for him from a icky pachuk leaf spring. Others included several sailing vessels that a merchant in Sinop made for him. Jim was injured at Sinop and sent to Germany for treatment. He is a member of the DAV. Jim promised to send me his BIO. It will be most interesting

ZIMMERMAN, John W. (Bear) DOB: 1941, RA13774858, Det 4, 64-65, (Sherry), RD#4 Latrobe, PA Was the heavy weight wrestler champion at Det 4 in 1965. He finished 2nd in MSC Heavyweight class in 1965 per the Mauler and wrestled in England. Enjoyed his tour at Sinop.

= = = = = End of Newsletter = = = =