Subject: DAYS OF OUR LIVES #102
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:37:03 -0600


I welcome articles, BIO's, stories, etc and certainly hope that all ASA Turkey Vet's will contribute and make the newsletter worthwhile. You can write whatever message you would like, and it will show up right here for others to read and I'm hoping it will spur more memories. After all, isn't that why you're reading this now? I will respond to all e-mails and will assist whenever needed, but reserve the right to edit for content and clarity and welcome any errors that may appear herein. Thank you, Elder RC Green, aka gH, 3094 Warren Rd., Indiana, PA 15701, 724-349-7305,

Keep in mind that some people come and go in our lives, like passing ships, nameless faces, never meant to be part of our lives, but they are. Friends share simple, ordinary times in our lives, moments that become memories that stay in our hearts forever and we will never, ever be the same


THE 2003 ASA TURKEY REUNION WILL BE HELD AT SEVEN SPRINGS, PENNSYLVANIA ON LABOR DAY WEEK-END, 29-31 AUGUST 2003. I have 70 rooms blocked off for the ASA Turkey reunion. The cost per room is $85.00 + tax for each room. For reservations call 1-800-452-2223 or 1-866-437-1300. Note: Inform the receptionist that you are with the ASA Turkey reunion group. If you want to arrive before the 29th or stay after the 31st of August - at the same rate - make that known when you make your reservations or later. Request a room on the 6th floor or above that faces the ski slopes. Each room has a balcony and the view is breathtaking! Our ranks are growing old, thin and paunchy too, and this should be a reminder to stop waffling and do each other honor and attend the 7 Springs reunion and please keep in mind that some people come and go in our lives, like passing ships, nameless faces, never meant to be part of our lives, but they are. Friends share simple, ordinary times in our lives, moments that become memories that stay in our hearts forever and we will never, ever be the same. Lastly, many ASA Turkey vet's are undoubtedly wondering why the annual reunion is being held in Pennsylvania again? Well, the answer is simple - no one volunteered.


I'm researching the HISTORY OF THE ASA in Turkey and will have that task completed in the near future. In the meantime - I'd appreciate any items or memories of what the TOUR OF DUTY in the 1950's was like in Turkey. Also, I'm trying to put all the puzzle parts of the 1961 riot at Det 4 into one report and include it in a future DOOL issue. I'm still trying to locate others who have knowledge of the riot. If anyone reading this issue has information, regardless of the details, please send it to me- - -gH


BAILEY, Afton D (Jack) E5 05K Det 27, SE61-JN63, BX 2400, Kerrville, TX 78029, 830-377-8899 and see . - HI GUYS... We appreciate reading about fellow soldiers at Sinop and Manzarali Station. Has anyone ever heard from guys who I worked with Sept.61--June 63: Dave Wittrock, "Topper" Pylant, former roomie Mike Kunkel, Danny Zanvetter ?. I still hear from Robert (Bob) Ancell in Alexandria,VA ; Phil Kelly in California and only recently from Dan Drachman in Moscow. All the best. AFTON D. (JACK) BAILEY 059, Kerrville, TX

CARLSON, John A., E3-E4, 204/993, Det 4, JL61-JN62, (Madeline), 78 Clifton Ave., Brockton, MA 02301, 508-588-6572, . Found John Carlson on Bill Simons mailbag and made contact 22 January 2003. He still believes that he had been tricked into joining the ASA with promises of becoming an instructor in the 204 MOS at Ft. Monmouth, NJ. He told me that he may not remember what he had for dinner yesterday but his year on the hill is burned in pretty good. A month after finishing instructor training about 5 of them got orders to Sinop. He spent several days in Ankara before catching a ride to Sinop in a Brit Land Rover along with Paul R. Meadows of Horseshoe, NC. During his time on the Hill the yeni barracks was one small Butler building located somewhere near the chapel. The grand accommodations were the wooden barracks with the tile roofs. The most coveted places were the Jamesway huts. He well remembers the turkey trots that most yeni's had to suffer thru until the bodies adapted. Also the process of engaging your own houseboy. All the interaction with your houseboy and their nagging cry just after you'd gotten to sleep after the night trick..."Sheets abi,sheets abi". He remembers stealing freshly baked bread from the screened cabinet just inside the entry to the old wooden mess hall, some of the less sober nights at the EM club and once in a while being transported back to the barracks on an old door used as a stretcher. He remember going downtown to buy the much needed abi boots, the mud and the mud and more mud. He wants to know if anyone else remembers the fierce trade in meerschaum pipes, puzzle rings,and Turkish towels? How about guard duty with live ammunition and old tales of some Korean war vet who had shot a Turk who was stealing gas, and other guys who had been shooting rabbits at night out near the point site. It was rumored that the German cooks liked to cook up the bunnies for a late night snack. He remembers almost getting killed by swimming in an unauthorized place all the way down the hill from the old EM club. How about buying an old gaff rigged sailboat downtown and getting some of that cheap, delicious bread and a couple bottles of either Kalvakadera or Chamladera wine, $.25 per liter or Kanyak or Raki? He can't believe all the fun he had and all the homesickness and pain he felt, and the bad dreams about being sent back to Sinop. After 40 years he still remembers so much of life on the hill . The thought that females were later sent to the hill boggles his mind.

mailto:E-MAIL---CASH13@CFW.COM CASH, H. Wayne, US52579828, E3-E4, MP, Det 27, JL64-OC65, (Mabel), 66 Bel Grene Dr., Fishersville, VA 22939, 540-949-7929, - Love reading about experiences others had and how friends you made then still bring back fond memories. My entire time at Çerkezhöyük I wished I was home, once I did get back home I realized it wasn't all that bad---what an experience!!! I remember the first words said to me when we got off the bus in front of the barracks, and it was not welcome, "do you play football?" So I spent most of my 15 months playing on just about any sports team that would have me. In my first few days I met up with Trent Douglas and later on Bill McDonaldson and Tony Moulton. We made the Kennedy family rich by trying to consume all the Scotch that could be imported. I do remember the Saturday mornings at the NCO club(sick call), steak and eggs for a $1 and dime beer till noon. A troop could get wasted for $2, where can you do that now? A couple of times we went straight from the club to the Mess Hall for lunch, now that was not pretty. Sgt. Hamilton of Op's Company "requested" we not go anymore after Trent Douglas fell off the front porch into the lattice work and destroyed the roses, not to mention his shirt. Lucky the medics were in our barracks and patched him up. Till making Desk Sgt., I spent many cold nights at the front gate watching returning troops return from town (wasted) and trading cigarettes with the Turkish guards walking our prerimeter. Sometimes I ran out of money and even had to smoke those god awful things. The day I left for the USA and my discharge was a sad day, before getting on the bus early in the morning we set off the fire alarm in the barrack for a "wake up call" and laughed all the way to the airport----then it hit me, I was already missing my friends. I have lost contact with everyone with exception of Douglas and after 27 years of just Xmas cards, in 1993, Trent came to visit me while I was working in Singapore. Hopefully one day I will see others who made my life bearable while in Turkey.



1LT TRUSLOW, John W., Det 27, 64-65 from GA, 404-261-0931 (Not interested)!


SGT. SPORER, Howard J., MP NCOIC, Det 27, 65-66, 174 Jeanine Rd., Crestview, FL 32539, 850-892-4522


CPL. REUBEN KIDD, from Lynchburg, VA








PFC. SUTTLES, Stephen B., Det 27, JL64-AP67, (Keumsoo), 14829 London Ln., Bowie, MD 20715, 301-805-5866, (cable)



PFC. GOTHIER, Norman D., Det 27,65-68, (Victoria), 2-02 Berdan Ave., Fair Lawn, NJ 07410, 201-475-0856,



SP4 LAM, C., from Elkton, VA

PFC. NEARPASS, Robert D., (Rob), Det 27, DE64-DE66, (Lorraine), 111 Hope Crossing Rd., Belvidere, NJ 07823, 908-638-7625, & see





PFC. GLENN, Bobby, Det 27, 65-66, Hampton, VA 23669 757-851-2502






PFC. WHITLEY, Eugene P., 71B, Det 27, 64-65, 4504 Haywood Farms Rd., New Bern, NC 28562, 252-636-0483,




I am now starting to find some old photo's and will send later. I have not heard anything from Tony Moulton since leaving Manzarali. I know he had planned to return to NYC where his family resided, but that was sooo long ago. As it looks now - I will have to miss reunion this year, family friends daughter getting married at Nags Head that week-end. But you know young people. Anything can happen between now and then.??

GLASER, Gerald, (Jerry), DOB: 11NO40, RA15612661, E3-E4, 056, Det 4, MY60-MY61, (Joan), 1211 Lakerise Overlook, Gallatin, TN 37066, 615-822-3672, .

Contacted on 27 January 2003. Jerry completed 058 school at Devens, then was sent to Direction Finding (056) schooling for 8 or so weeks and then in May 1960, as a 19 year old native Kentuckian, received orders for assignment to Det 4. Jerry Glaser has many memories of his year at Sinop that included being bitten by a rabid dog at the point DF site where he worked the straight hoot-owl shift, having mononucleosis and being amid the 1961 RIOT while in the Det 4 dispensary.


The mad dog died and the rabies serum at the dispensary was outdated and the medics knowing that the rabies virus if not treated within 72 hours of being bitten could be fatal for Jerry Glaser. The L-20 flight's of Lt Olson from Sinop was fogged in for two days and Jerry was taken off the hill in the back of a deuce and a half for the 12-14 hour trek to Ankara where he, in the 70th hour, received the first of 14 shots in the stomach for 14 consecutive days before returning to Sinop. Jerry Glaser still has the scars from that dog bite as a daily reminder of his Tour of Duty at the Sinop ASA outpost. .


The day of the 1961 RIOT is very vivid in his memory. He was on the final day of his two week mono stay at the Det 4 dispensary when a severely wounded Turk and several beat-up GI's were rushed into the infirmary where medic Pete Castigliano and Doctor (Captain) Roger P. Rietz were on duty. Jerry Glaser was a short-timer and now found himself in the middle of a life or death situation and this was not the way he wanted to remember his tour of duty at Sinope. Dr Reitz examined the wounded Turk and brought him out of shock. Neither Pete Castigliano or Jerry Glasser can remember the identity of the two injured GI's. The head of one of the injured was prepped and shaved by Pete and later required over 100 stitches. We now know that that was Eddie Wood. The other GI is believed to be Biff O'Hara. Jerry Glaser remembers Dr Reitz yell, "GLASER get the ambulance and drive CASTIGLIANO to the Sinop hospital." At the time Glaser was a 20 year old and knew that time was a matter of life or death for the Turk as he maneuvered the ambulance thru a mob armed with Springfield rifles and rocks - most were shouting while others were just standing around, smoking and shaking their fists. The Turks had more or less taken over the post. It didn't take them long to understand the gravity of the situation and the visions of what was yet to come grew more ominous. During the hectic trip to the Sinop hospital, the two decided that they should get the 'heck' back to Diogenes Station without delay after the Turk was in the hands of the Sinop hospital staff. Needless to say, the details of their short stay at the Sinop hospital is fuzzy in their mind, but they do remember the return trip up the hill. By then the Sinop Turks were in a frenzy but Glaser and Castigliano tried to not be distracted by the creeping ugliness - a truck load of Turk workers was on the scene and they piled off the truck and began jumping on the ambulance and trying to block their path, but Jerry kept the ambulance moving until they reached the gate. Many long minutes passed, and the rioters showed no signs of letting up as angry fists banged on the hood, the doors, the sides and the rear door was opened and a Turk soldier put a bayonet to Pete's throat. Neither remembers who or how many GI's were at the gate at that time. They were made to get out of the ambulance and were surrounded by Turks and their bolt-action Springfield rifles lowered in their direction. Jerry Glaser remembers thinking, "Oh my God, I'm dead. Their anxiety was somewhat relieved whan a young Turk lieutenant arrived and took control and command of the potentail deadly situation. The Turk lieutenant told them to get back in the ambulance and get it back to the dispensary - they finally got clear of the insanity -- about 20 minutes had passed and they didn't know if the situation would get worse. Neither remembers where Col Cox was at this time, but others have recalled that he was riding around post in his jeep. I have not determined if this was the same Turk lieutenant that Charlie Eberhard described. Glaser says that he never did find out who provoked the incident, maybe it was ... Jerry remembers Churchill (heavy set, and dark haired MP who he had known from the EM Club prior to the riot), Charlie Eberhard and Biff O'Hara, but not Eddie Wood or Bruce Mondale. Jerry believes that O'Hara was from the Chicago area and not Cincinnati because he lived across the Ohio River from Cincinnati and would have remembered O'Hara because of it. However, when reminded that Charlie Eberhard identified Bruce Mondale as being from Minnesota and that it was Hubert Humphrey who got involved in this matter - did - Jerry Glaser rethink that it might not have been O'Hara who was yelling and screaming, for unknown reasons, into the dispensary saying that his mother knew a Senator who would be told about this incident. That person kept ranting and raving and Jerry thought that that person had gone wacko. Jerry also remembers that several bloodied GI's had to be treated because of injuries during the RIOT and observed one with severe wounds to the scalp area. Jerry Glaser was discharged from the hospital on that fateful date and went back to the barracks and shortly thereafter departed Det 4 for duty at Ft Bragg, NC where he made E5 before his ETS.

Jerry Glaser remembers the following GI's from his Tour of Duty at Det 4: Jerry Worley, Mike Osboe from 17451 Grider Pond Rd., Bowling Green, KY., 270-781-0141, Joe Hassett from Ashtabula, OH., Jim Vodnik, Joe Weber and Donald C. Vaughan from Oklahoma. Jerry Glaser promised me that he would write about the riot and send it to me along with Sinop and present day photo's of him and Joan. Jerry's son graduated from West Point in 1993 and presently is a Captain and the CO of Hqs Co, 2nd Bde, 3rd Inf Div at Camp New York, North of Camp Doha Kuwait.

HARBER, Jim E3-E5 05H-Tk 1 Det 27, 19MY62-27OC63, (Becky), 1326 Oakmont Dr., Acworth, GA 30102, 404-771-3074, - Elder & Patty, As I key this email... Becky & I do plan to attend the 3rd Annual TUSLOG ASA Reunion at 7 Springs, PA. We just signed a contract for a new home to be built... I don't see the completion date and subsequent move-in with interfering with this trip. The only possible snag would be if my current home doesn't sell... and I become the proud owner of 2 homes.... but, I don't plan to let that interfere. We plan to keep busy, not only with the home, but work and play, too.... I am planning on really retiring and hanging it up, no later than May 1st 2005..... but maybe May 1st 2004 - 2 key dates...

LEPKE, Richard P., DOB: 1922, LtCol, AIS, CDR Det 4, 63, 831-423-3340. I called Col Lepke on 25 January 2003 but was not able to gather any information from him. In 1963 he was the CO at Det 4 and issued the following UNIT DAY 1963 memo:
September 15th marks the anniversary of the Agency and our unit. It was on that date 18 years ago that the Agency was established as a separate command under the direct control of the (then) War Department. Since that time, "progress" coupled with "results" have proved and reproved our necessary existence - the Agency is indeed here to stay. The following message, received the other day, from the Chief of the Agency in Europe, underlines this fact: "On this occasion, I extend congratulations to the members of this command for accomplishing the many difficult and arduous, and highly important tasks during the past year. The Agency plays a vital part on our national defense team and consistently performs in the highest traditions of the US Army." Those of you who are members of Operations Company are reminded every working day of the importance of your job. But perhaps you who have supporting roles lose sight of the magnitude of our overall mission. I am speaking now about the clerk behind the typewriter, the man at the main gate, the medical specialist, and so on. Your duties also are difficult and arduous in their own right. You are all necessary and important in the accomplishment of our primary mission here at Detachment 4. At the beginning of fiscal year 1957 the unit was split into three elenents. The unit headquarters and a small operational detachment was located here on the Hill. A second element was located in Samsun, Turkey, and a third element, a communications facility, was located in Ankara, Turkey. During May 1957, the main operational element of the Samsun detachment was integrated into the headquarters group at Sinop. Effective 1 January 1957 the unit designation changed from the 23rd Detachment to the 276 Company. On 10 August 1961, the 276 Company was deactivated and TUSLOG Detachment 4 became the official unit designation. TUSLOG Det 4 is subordinate to TUSLOG Det 27 located in Ankara, Turkey. Both stations are subordinate to Headquarters Europe, located in Frankfurt, Germany. This, briefly, is how it all came about. Here in Turkey, you and I wear no distinguishing crests, patches, or specific branch insignia, but we are constantly aware of why we are here at this time and place. I add my congratulations on the 18th Anniversary of the Agency; and to you the members of this unit, I say sincerely, well done.... Keep it up. RICHARD P LEPKE, Lt Col, AIS, Commanding

OPELA, Norman V., E4, 058, Det 27, AP64-SE65, 3516 Union St., Eureka, CA 95501, 707-443-1729, - Thanks for dropping in. My prostate problems haven't gone away and a few more problems have joined so I probably will not make the 2003 reunion, but I have learned anything is possible. Thanks for the effort you put into what you are doing. I'll tell you it has helped me immensely because I had heard nothing about anything or anybody that could relate to being stationed in
Turkey for 18 months. The Turks taught me a lot. I think the word "Thamom" is my favorite word of all languages. Many uses for that word. My lady and I start to get a little heated in our discussions, I have taught her the word, either she or I can say thamom and not another word is said about the subject until a later time when we are not so hot and usually it wasn't worth getting hot about. I remember the Turks. If the world came to an end they would nonchalantly say "Thamom".Happy 2003 to ya! Norman

RIEDY, Richard DOB: 1936, 988, Turk linguist, Det 4, OC57-MY59, from NM., -

On 17 January 2003 I sent the following email to Richard Riedy: Subj: Det 4 Sinop remembrances. Merhaba to an ex-Sinoper. My name is Elder RC Green and I, too, was born in 1936 (8/23). I started the ASA Turkey reunions in 2001, but it did not include Det 4 until 2002. I served at Det 27, 120 and 4-4 at Karamursel (67-68). I read your 19 and 21 December 2002 mailbag entries on Bill Simons website and am wondering if you have visited or seen my weekly newsletters - THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES. If not, go to for a look-see and then would appreciate a note from you.

Did you know Sgt Jack E. Dunlap and if so will appreciate your comments regarding him. Also, you state that Tumpane took over the Maintenance of Det 4 in July 1958. Do you remember where Alex Klopstock (a Hungarian civilian) fit into the construction plan at Det 4. This is the first that I heard about the so-call 'mum mutiny' and I will try and get additional comments from those who were there and participated in it. Have you started writing your Turkey memoirs yet? Hope to hear from you soon. Sincerely, Elder RC Green -

His reply on 26 January 2003: Elder RC Green, Thanks much for your message. Yes, I have seen and have read every single one of your newsletters on line. Absolutely fascinating. I'm sorry that neither in your newsletters or on Bill Simons website have I recognized any names from Det 4 except Jim Boyce. Not that I had that many friends as the nature of my work was, I'm afraid, a little offputting to a lot of the guys. At any rate, I did not keep up with anyone I knew once I departed the Hill. Did I know of Jack Dunlap and Alex Klopstock? Yes and perhaps no. Dunlap's is one name that has remained in my memory all these years, but that puzzles me because I cannot recall knowing him all that well. And certainly I knew nothing about his "activities" and fate after the Hill. (I was at NSA in 1961, but heard no scuttlebutt about him.) As site interpreter one of my duties was about once a month to take a small convoy of 2 1/2's west over the mountains to the State Forestry Operations on the coast at Ayancik, where we would pick up lumber for construction at Det 4. Jack Dunlap came along on at least one of these trips. For some reason I seem to connect him with the motor pool, but I could be way off base with that. Is Alex Klopstock the Alex I met at Det 4? My Alex was a blond haired, blue-eyed, bespectacled guy who spoke both quite idiomatic English and Turkish and was foreman to the Turkish construction workers. The Turks called him "Arnavutlu", that is, the Albanian. Albania of course was an Ottoman province for centuries and Albanian blood runs in the veins of more Turks than probably care to admit it. Alex always seemed to be rushing around here and there, and I saw him mainly when he'd come into the Orderly Room for something or other. He was at Det 4 when I got there in October '57, but I have no memory of when he left. Wasn't the company that preceded Tumpane called the Airport Maintenance Co.? The man in charge of Det 4 Tumpane operations was, if memory serves, Mr. Miller, one of the most personable guys I've ever met--the sort people refer to as being "A prince among men." I'm sure others would remember him, a short, pot-bellied man with coke-bottle-bottom glasses. The Turks were crazy about him. I mention him because I'll bet dollars to donuts he would know about Alex Klopstock. John Tumpane, brother of the owner of Tumpane Co., wrote a book entitled "Scotch and Holy Water," but he was based mainly at Det 8 in Diyarbakir, and his book is chiefly about his "Turkish" experience, with little about anything that went on at the sites. By the way, after leaving the Army I enlisted in the USAF and eventually landed at Det 3 Karamursel. Det 3 was a country club compared to Det 4. I'm only in the thinking-about-things and note-jotting stage of my Turkey memoirs. My plate is overflowing right now with other writing projects and house and property renovations and the gardening season staring me in the face, etc. etc.

REITER, Geo E3-E4 F&AO Det 27, JN63-DE64, (Bobbi), 7191Campbell St., Taylor, MI 48180, 313-291-9779, - Hello Elder, Keep up with the good work...really enjoy hearing about our experience in Turkey, a truely great experience! I have Bambridge E. Peterson's email address who I also served with in 1963 to 1964 and I'm sure that he would also like to be on your list: <>

ROSE, James D., E4, 058/993, Det 4, SE63-AU64, (Jane), 5421 Santa Theresa Ct., Farmington, NM 87402, 505-325-6127, . I called Jim Rose on 27 January 2003 and had a very interesting chat regarding his Tour of Duty at Det 4. Jim was trained as a 058 at Devens and then was sent to Vint Hill Farms along with Pete Moskiewicz, Jim O'Quinn and John Schmidt for training as 993's and then they were sent to Sinop, Turkey in September 1963.

The following is Jim Rose's 24 September 2002 entry on Bill Simons website. I was a 993 but during basketball season I worked days as a clerk for Sgt Dorman in Ops. After going back on trick work (3, I think) I roomed with Bob Haskett, Wallace Zachary, and Kevin Butler. Perhaps the biggest surprise I had was running into a guy from my hometown (Farmington, NM) when I got to the Hill. His name was Jay Thomas and he was a short-timer.

Guys I remember from the basketball team were Frank Ott, Norman Swift, John Hatcher, ?Spillman, Bob Rabuse?, Art "Big Red" Weant, Harold Schutzman, Sp5 Miller. Bob Haskett and I were the lifeguards at the beach the summer of 64 - I couldn't swim and he had to lie under the boat all day to stay out of the sun. One day we had to rescue an officer from a fishing boat - he had snagged his thigh with a big old hook. We ended up "carrying" the boat with him in it through the water because the boat was not water-tight.

The basketball team was in Ankara the day Kennedy was shot and things were very confused down there too. The tournament was cancelled and we went back to the Hill and that's when we first learned that there were actually carbines there (we later had to qualify on a 1000 inch range).

One night coming off swings I had an allergic reaction to shellfish at midnight chow so they rushed me next door to the infirmary. The officers' club was just shutting down and the doctor was smashed. He came and diagnosed my malady as appendicitis and said that he would operate in the morning when he was sober. Fortunately, the pain had gone away by then and I still have my appendix.

I still remember the night Judy Canova in "Carolina Cannonball" emptied the midnight flick before the credits had finished - really bad!
Ann-Margaret in "Bye Bye Birdie" was about the most exciting thing that happened on the Hill the whole time I was there. Never saw so many flashbulbs going off in a theatre.

Several of us - Moskiewicz, Carl McKinney, Al Van Brocklin, Rich Woodcox, Fred Vondrak all ended up at Ft. Huachuca for our last year.

Your web site is great. I have had a ball combing through it and really appreciate all the work you have put into it.

SCHWARTZ, Fred L., E3-E4, 550, Det 4, NO59-22DE60, (Rose), 321 Fain St., Morganton, GA 30560, Just checking in to see if you are in charge of the Reunion in PA? If so I have just a few questions. I will need to make my airline reservations for that week-end way in advance and the tickets will be non-refundable. So my question is: are the dates and plans for the Reunion set in stone or can there be a change in any of the plans in the months ahead? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am using my wifes e-mail address so don't let it throw you. HA!!!!!! Thanks, Fred L. Schwartz (Sinop Nov 59-Dec.60)Also if I should miss the Reunion could you send me a copy of the newsletter or is it available online?

Here is a little of my time in Sinop.

I left Fort Devens, Ayer, MA Thanksgiving evening Nov. "59" and stopped in Shannon, Ireland, from there I flew to Hamburg, Germany and then onto Istanbul, Turkey. Went from there to Sinop Det 4 in a 2 1/2 ton truck till my return to Fort Dix Dec. 22nd of "60". My first impression of the base was when I jumped from the back of the truck and went knee deep in mud. My MOS was Supply Handler (550). I lived in the Supply Hut which I shared with Leon Myhre of Wisconsin while others lived in Quonset huts. Which gave us a semi-private living arrangement. The Quonset huts had been set up as temporary barracks while permanent barracks were being built for the Air Force. I did go to Ankara once for a 3 day pass with a few civilian workers and what a truck trip that was. Saw a few "Belly Dancers" that I would not leave home for. In fact one was so exciting that she had eggs thrown at her. Was also invited to a few Turks homes for dinner but can't remember if the food was good or even what was served. Brought back a few souvenirs. My thirteen months there were an eye opener and made me realize what a Great Country we live in. I was sent to Fort Dix, NJ after I left Sinop and was mustered out there just before Christmas of "60." You may make any changes you see fit to make this a little easier to read. Also any questions please let me know and I will answer them.

Forgot to tell you in my bio that all the pictures I have are on my Sinop site. My granddaughter had scanned them for me and still has them. But she has moved away so not sure if she even still has them. Is there anyway that you could take off what pictures you want from my site?

TATROE, Joel, DOB: 5JA37, 059, E4, Det 4, 61 (2 mths) & Det 4-2, 61-63, (Virginia), 853 Stanford Dr., Sikeston, MO 63801, 573-471-6467, . Contacted 30 January 2003. Joel spent 24 years in the US Army and retired in 1978 as a E7. His ASA assignments were at Devens, Sinop, Incirlik, TRRS and at Harrogate. Later he was in the Engineers and a Recruiter.

TUCKER, Lee Raye, DOB: 31MR37, 058, E3-E4, Det 4, 3JA58-21DE58 & E7, 76Y, Det 129, 10OC74-13SE75, (Betty), 1750 Birdell St., Pocahontas, AR 72455, 870-892-8874, - Contacted Lee Tucker on 25 January 2003. He is a native of Randolph County, Arkansas. In 1957 Lee enlisted in the U.S. Army where he served for 20 years, retiring in 1977. During those 20 years Lee was privileged to travel many places, at home and abroad. By far, his most memorable tour was spent in Sinop, Turkey as a ditty-bopper. During Lee's military career he served in several capacities, including the Army Security Agency for 10 years. Upon his retirement in 1977, Lee went to work for the City of Pocahontas In 1978 Lee married Betty Sue Cozart Wilson, a native Randolph Countian, who was also employed by the City of Pocahontas. In 1979 Lee and Betty were blessed with their first only child, a son, Stanley Grant Tucker. In 1983 Lee moved his family to Memphis, where he accepted a job with the Veterans Administration Hospital. 1n 1988 the family moved back to Randolph County, where they have remained ever since. In 1990 Lee and Betty became involved in different aspects of the business of real estate and remained active in that capacity until 1995 when they decided to truly retire. In 1997 their son Stanley graduated Pocahontas High and, that fall he left the family home and moved to Jonesboro where he entered his freshman year at Arkansas State. For the first time in 40 years Lee and Betty were finally empty nesters and asking themselves "Now What". After a short period of time they pursued a quest for family genealogy and have remained intently interested, and involved, in that effort ever since and now have a family tree that they would be pleased to share with anyone. Both Lee and Betty had been married previously. Lee was married in 1957 to Peggy Barnett and to this union 4 children were born, Ronald Lee born 1958, Denny Layne and Stewart Wayne born 1960 and Debra Sue born 1961. Betty's previous marriage to Lowell Allen Wilson in 1964 produced 2 children, Lowell Allen, Jr. born 1967 and Candalee Elizabeth born 1975. Lee first born Ronald Lee died in 1962 and is buried in Masonic Cemetery. The remaining 3 children attended schools all over the world, finally finishing their education in Tacoma, Washington. Betty's son Lowell Jr. spent his first 4 years at St. Pauls School, after which he attended Pocahontas High School, and finally graduating in 1986 from Raleigh Egypt School in Memphis. Candalee started her schooling at St. Pauls then later Pocahontas and Memphis Schools and finally graduating Pocahontas High in 1994. Lee has been blessed with 5 grandchildren, one great grand daughter; and to date Betty has one grandson. :

Duty Stations

Basic Traning 5th BTC Camp Chaffee Ark. 02 Apr 1957 – 16 Jun 1957

Morse Code School USASA Sch Ft. Devens, Mass 03 Jun 1957 – 20 Dec 1957

Ops 058 MOS TUSLOG Det 4 Sinop, Turkey 03 Jan 1958 – 21 Dec 1958

Automatic Morse V H Farms Warrington, Va 20 Jan 1959 – 20 Jan 1961

Advanced 058 Sch NSA Bldg Ft. Meadem Md 02 Feb 1961 – 30 Jun 1961

9th USASA Fld Sta Clark AFB Angeles, Phillp 03 Jul 1961 – 10 Apr 1963

6th USASA Fld Sta Homestead AFB Homestead, Fl 01 May 1963 – 21 Nov 1964

5th RRU Seri Court Bangkok, Thailand 03 Jan 1965 – 10 Dec 1966

Inst RVN Vlge Hq USASA Ft Devens, Mass 10 Jan 1967 – 20 Jun 1968

Class 1-69 Stu Co USASA Ft Mead, Md. 05 Jul 1968 – 15 Dec 1968

Hq Co 7th RRU 7th RRU Udorn, Thailand 15 Jan 1969 – 30 May 1969

Signal 05C HHB Div Arty Ft. Hood, Tx 03 Jun 1969 – 07 Jan 1970

8th Sig Bn 05C 8th Inf Div Bad Kreuz., Ger 10 Feb 1970 – 21 Jan 1973

NCOIC S-4 76Y HHT 3/5 Cav Ft Lewis Wa 21 Feb 1973 – 21 Sep 1974

Supply Sgt TUSLOG DET 129 Sinop, Turkey 10 Oct 1974 – 13 Sep 1975

NCOIC 62nd DSU 62nd Sup Co Ft Hood, Tex 29 Oct 1974 – 30 Apr 1977

Retired 30 Apr 1977 at Fort Hood Texas as a Sergeant First Class.